NYT review of: "Trust the Plan: The Rise of QAnon and the Conspiracy That Unhinged America"

Originally published at: NYT review of: "Trust the Plan: The Rise of QAnon and the Conspiracy That Unhinged America" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is maybe the best distillation I’ve seen of the issue, it’s taking a religious idea that millenarian sects use and turning it into a political motivator, and the “scripture” they’re citing is opaque internet “clues” written concurrently, which can be interpreted any way you want to get the outcome you most desire.

16 Likes

I guess I don’t have to read it. I’ve lived it.

17 Likes

And the Times knows about conspiracy cultists. Just look at their coverage of transgender people.

15 Likes

… and, of course, the whole “The Storm” thing comes from a toy commercial

EDIT: as @hand2mouse points out it’s originally from genghis khan though i bet it passed through this ad on it’s way to trump’s brain

2 Likes

"“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm.'”

I’ve been seeing catalogs selling pillows, bracelets, etc with this quote. Is it related? I don’t know anyone spouting q memes (maybe because I live in Portland).

Irrelevant backstory: I still get mail order catalogs for junk like this, because I enjoy flipping through them when I need a few mindless minutes and I don’t want blue light (i.e. bedtime). I buy something once every 3 to 5 years, and this intermittent reinforcement keeps them coming. I really should go on the “no” list to better help the planet. I manage to avoid buying sequined ball caps (even though I’m a woman of a certain age).

1 Like

I am surprised the NYT didn’t say “it’s alright, but wasn’t very balanced”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.