Here's a funny meme about goth girls dealing with the success of Netflix's Wednesday

Originally published at: Here's a funny meme about goth girls dealing with the success of Netflix's Wednesday | Boing Boing

6 Likes

My sense is that the goth girls will accept winning more graciously and with less grudge-holding bitterness than white male nerds have. Popular culture and financial success has effectively been re-defined to favour the latter group for decades now and they’re still whinging and playing the victim.

22 Likes

Yeah, I am not sure what this is about. Going back centuries goths and spooky folk of all genders have always had to deal with media representation that portrays them as hot, funny, sarcastic, smart, sexy, sexy people and they have dealt with it.

15 Likes

26 Likes

Exactly. We survived being compared to the white hot (well, pale cold) raw sexuality of a Noel Fielding (or in Mighty Boosh to Dee Plume and Sue Denim of Robots in Disguise - below) and we are all fine

PeaTgXmWUbMg2FsZ_wTy8f2XfsLiDWUzIrYIO6G7W4w

15 Likes

Ah… Tim Burton pulled (or pushed) goth into the mainstream decades ago.

winona ryder beetlejuice gif | WiffleGif

29 Likes

There have been past posts on Boing Boing about the success of the Hot Topic retail stores over the last three decades, which are so inexorably linked to big shopping malls and corporations (they sell Disney merchandise, fer cryin’ out loud!) that it’s been really hard for me to see the look as “counterculture” for a long, long time.

Fun fact:
There are currently about 428 Gap stores in the US, and about 675 Hot Topic stores, so which one is really more mainstream? Will the styles of Gap become the new counterculture?

15 Likes

Well, they bought that Banana Republic cachet (just look at it) decades ago. Maybe bring back pith helmets?

7 Likes

Each successive generation of GAP fashion will inevitably become engulfed and assimilated into “normcore” I imagine…

6 Likes

…are watching their style get co-opted by the very people who mocked them.

Hate to say it but it happens to every creative sub-culture. Just ask the beatniks, hippies, punks, grunge rockers, etc…

Will the styles of Gap become the new counterculture?

Perhaps, just ask America’s newly branded Klansman / white supremacist / nazi.

5 Likes

19 Likes

Enhance…enhance…

Screenshot_20221202_091353

Bookmarking goth.is!

16 Likes

My view has been that counter-cultures devolve into gate keeping and metaphorical uniform wearing. IE: In striving to be different we must all look the same and like the same things. As someone that has perpetually felt like an outsider that didn’t truly fit anywhere i felt it was really disingenuous to sport a specific look to truly be considered part of X group. That said at the end of the day i do think there’s more positives for those that really find comfort in finding their people within a certain aesthetic or interest, i just wish there was less gate keeping and complaining about who belongs and who is a pretender. Just let people like the things they like even if its a fleeting interest.

17 Likes

New trending GIF on Giphy | Giphy, New trends, Portlandia

11 Likes

They’re selling hippie wigs in Woolworths, man; and we have failed to paint it black.

10 Likes

always relevant:

5 Likes
11 Likes

Goth has come into and out of mainstream fashion throughout my lifetime.

16 Likes

I my day we were Deathrockers, and dammit, that was good enough for us!

10 Likes

I’m semi goth daily, but corporate goth if I go to shows. Which i haven’t done since stupid covid. :frowning:

But hey, if it is culturally more acceptable I wouldn’t be too bitter about it. I am already numb to it because that has already happened with comics, video games, and D&D - all of which got you picked on in school (or called a devil worshiper!!) but now is pretty mainstream. Kids and young adults suck as they have to tear people down to feel better about themselves.

7 Likes