Here's a must-read checklist of actions to increase online privacy and security

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/17/heres-a-must-read-checklist.html

4 Likes

Hi Mark. The linked article forgot Startpage.com! It’s the privacy-friendly Dutch search engine – the only one that officially delivers Google search results in privacy. (DDG mainly offers Yahoo /Bing results in privacy.)

2 Likes

I like the basic idea and layout. It’s a useful site that tries to create clear, short summaries of a complex field. But sometimes is perhaps a bit too terse for the average user. One example:

They could clarify this a bit in more plain language: “Do not store any 2nd factor authentication information with your passwords. Two factor authentication will help protect you if your passwords are stolen from your on-line password vault, but not if you store your 2nd factor with your passwords.”

2 Likes

A good password manager not mentioned is Enpass. It is free (basic edition, some features are premium) and multi-platform.

1 Like

This is useful I shall check it out

This is my fav part of the article, from the very bottom:

2 Likes

… And the site content is invisible without JavaScript enabled! Which includes code from two third-parties, one of whom is Google! And the only way to contact the site author about this is via Twitter or GitHub!

This isn’t a useful resource; it’s a phishing site for big data!

(Yes, I realise I’m posting this comment via a Service as a Software Substitute third party’s JavaScript code. Doesn’t invalidate the criticism, just widens it to include Boing Boing, who should certainly know better.)

Security Checklist’s site is viewable without any 3d party scripting or content. You only need to whitelist their domain. The site is pretty darn minimal by today’s standards.

Compare the above to this site that links to the article…

So I don’t think it makes much sense to complain about Security Checklist’s use of scripting.

And yet BB’s site hosts a shit ton of 3rd party trackers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.