Here's a teardown of Apple's new AirPods Max

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/heres-a-teardown-of-apples-new-airpods-max.html

4 Likes

Is it wrong that I don’t want my every device to have an embedded computer? “Logic boards should not be multiplied without necessity.”

I call this principle “Occam’s Kitchen Razor” since it applies mostly to white-goods appliances, but really it holds true for headphones and TVs and lamps and irons and doorbells and…

4 Likes

i’d humbly add a related subsection: Not every device need connect to the internet. (the weak link for that comes via “It’s gotta be bluetooth-able” and “You gotta use their app to control it!”) Why should my can-opener require wifi? (“well, you want firmware updates, don’tcha!?”)

5 Likes

Earbuds are like sunglasses to me; the likelihood of losing or breaking them is far too high to go anywhere above mid-range in price. I didn’t even pay that much for my phono setup and my friend who sells super high-end audio and was chief editor of the premier audiophile magazine says my low-to-mid range setup is great; the reality is that the difference in quality between the bottom end and the mid is vast, but there are diminishing returns above that. Besides, these are still pushing compressed, digital files which will never sound as good as analogue.

1 Like

I have names for all kinds of things: this is “The Umbrella Paradox.” A cheap umbrella breaks; an expensive one gets lost; there is no umbrella that is both expensive enough to assure its quality and cheap enough to excuse its loss.

3 Likes

The question “Well, you want firmware updates (for your can opener), don’t cha?!” illustrates everything wrong with connected appliances in one easy, direct sentence, and I love it!

3 Likes

Wow, any surround is virtual. OTOH there are enough electronics in there to maybe generate fill-in podcasts and come up with a rhythm or two as well. Siri predict the next Mona Lisa Twins hit. $550 lolwut.

It’s much as I like my AirPods Pros, $550 for these is a giant nope. Sure, they have some fancy engineering but I can’t imagine they actually sound $550 good.

The iBrolly could tell you where you lost it.

1 Like

Only if you enable “Where’s My Bumbershoot” though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.