Here's how I'm cooking my turkey this year

Originally published at: Here's how I'm cooking my turkey this year | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Calling all turkey lovers: Just got a $7.00 US for a 15 lb turkey, you need the coupon from the website. It’s in the oven, RIGHT NOW!

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.17.30 AM

9 Likes

When is thanksgiving down there this year? Is it this week?

1 Like

Around my house, if you wake up in the morning and can still fog a mirror, it’s Thanksgiving.

16 Likes

I like saying the word spatchcock too.

Mostly because I think it is very, very dirty.

7 Likes

14 Likes

Spatchcocking a turkey for the kettle grill makes it easier to control temperature and does indeed take less time and fuel.

Delicious! Apple wood this year.

7 Likes

I like food.

10 Likes

Wow. A way to make a turkey corpse look even LESS appetizing.

I dry brined one year and I thought it came out tasting more like ham than turkey. ymmv

This is the only way (or cut into sections). All other Thanksgiving turkey trends come and go but this actually works. Been doing it for over ten years. This process is worth losing carving the roasted turkey presentation at the table if anyone still does that.

3 Likes

Portabello mushroom & fig butter gravy. Need I say more…

9 Likes

There is nothing that isn’t better with fig butter!

4 Likes

You come at the king, you best not miss!

26 Likes

Needs an eatable figurine on top, me thinks!

4 Likes

Nemo or Ahab?

4 Likes

Also essential if you’re smoking the turkey (no cracks about finding big enough rolling papers, please).
Especially because of the steam from below from the water pan, spatchcocking leads to more crispy skin.

4 Likes

Been doing this for years. I split the bird and roast each half on a different bed of stuffing/dressing. Cooks more quickly and evenly.

5 Likes

Spatchcock dry brined turkey is not only the best turkey, its also the easiest.

Serious Eats has a much better and thoroughly-explained recipe by Kenji (always my first stop). The dry brine should use baking soda in addition to the salt; it breaks down the proteins in the skin, “causing them to crisp and brown more efficiently, it also combines with turkey juices, forming microscopic bubbles that add surface area and crunch to the skin as it roasts.”

The spatchcocking recipe has a detailed guide for those who’ve never done it before as well as great tips on gravy and timing.

I’ve done just about every version of traditional turkey prep except fried and they all suck. I did this last year and never spent less time or had more control over the finished product. The bird was superb.

6 Likes

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

4 Likes