Spatchcocking a turkey: is this the way?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/25/spatchcocking-a-turkey-is-this-the-way.html

10 Likes

We did a spatchcocked turkey for Thanksgivukkah 2013. I lived in the UK so Thanksgiving wasn’t a holiday and none of us wanted to take the day off to cook, and having a spatchcocked turkey meant that the person cooking the turkey could put it in the oven after coming home from work and we could still eat at a reasonable time.

9 Likes

Technically, it’s spatchtomming.

Also:

Good man.

15 Likes

I have not watched any of season 2 of the Mandalorian yet. Is he spatchcocking turkeys? Did he get fed up with baby yoda, spatchcock him and contemplate if this was the way?

6 Likes

Use a deep roasting pan, put the stuffing in the pan and let the juices soak into the stuffing. On the other hand we are “cheating” this year and have a small smoked turkey, so all we have to do is heat it up.

4 Likes

We spatchcocked a turkey once because it didn’t thaw properly and it was a way to roast it and still have dinner on time. It required much watching and foiling of wings. I do a lot of spatchcocked chickens, though, because Julia Child recommends it in her basic cooking book.

9 Likes

I’ve been doing this for years now. I will not go back to cooking a full bird. It’s just so much easier to manage, takes less time to cook, and I can separate the light and dark meat so the breasts don’t get over dry.

This year I am adding sous vide to the process. I am super excited.

10 Likes

Butcher the bird into airline breasts, and leg and thigh portions, bag them up separate, and sous vide. I should have already started the process today, because it cooks all night. It makes Thanksgiving Day so much easier. When the side dishes are done, pull the turkey out and crisp up the skin in the broiler.

Most years I also do one of the bags of dark meat with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and green onions and use the carcass to make ramen stock. Then leftovers on Sunday is turkey ramen.

8 Likes

I usually will spatchcock the bird and do a wet brine with buttermilk a couple days before. This year I’m still doing the brine but it didn’t make sense to cook a whole turkey so I opted for some turkey components.

1 Like

Sous vide leftover turkey is so much better then the leftovers when it’s roasted.

3 Likes

This is the way.

16 Likes

Turduckamen? (sans duck)

2 Likes

All I’ve heard about is that there is something gross that involves eggs and baby Yoda doesn’t seem as adorable any more.

A spatchcocked turkey on a charcoal grill. This is the way.

7 Likes

Baby Yoda ate a few of another lifeform’s eggs a couple episodes back and also got facehugged by a tiny octopus looking thing that jumped out of his soup.

Then, last week, he stole some kid’s blue cookies and, after a wild ride in the Mandalorian’s ship, threw up all over himself. It was comic relief while watching it, but now in the retelling, kind of meh.

4 Likes

Fun and easy. Best as always if you dry brine overnight first. Indirect heat on the grill frees your oven for P I E S. Use your thermometer!

2 Likes

I just finished spatching, as well. I’m also trying J Kenji’s dry brine this year. And made waaay too much salt mix.

4 Likes

There’s only two of us down here - the rest of the fam is back in Canada, so we’ve been spatchcocking turkeys with great success, or even just doing a half at a time.

Save your drippings to add to your stuffing!

7 Likes

Basically like a human baby so: gross.

5 Likes

so… half-cocked, eh? :wink:

8 Likes