Thanksgiving Recipes 2022

Thanksgiving is my favorite US holiday. I love that it’s about being with loved ones, food, and gratitude, and no gift giving!
As a seasonal spin off from the much beloved Happy Mutants Food and Drink thread, I wanted one where we could share favorite Thanksgiving recipes.

I’ll start it off. I’ve been making this cranberry sauce for the last few years and I love it:

I went through a kick where I tried to find a recipe for every side that included booze, just because. There’s a yummy bourbon glazed sweet potatoes one I’ll try to dig up.
But for you omnivores, the one you should really be looking forward to is our generations-old stuffing recipe. It’s my “can’t celebrate the holiday without it” recipe. I just need to type it up.

So what about you? Any classics, or relatively new ones that have made the cut? Any that we should avoid at all costs?

19 Likes

Great idea!

Speaking of cranberries… obligatory!

12 Likes

Cranberry Pie! It’s my most-requested pie.

Cranberry Pie

Makes one 9-inch round pie

Filling ingredients:
3 cups whole raw cranberries (or one 12-ounce bag)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried currants
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice

To prepare the filling:
Chop the cranberries coarsely.
In a separate bowl mix together the sugar and flour.
In a large saucepan (or large microwavable bowl), melt the butter. Remove from heat, add all other filling ingredients, and mix well.

For the crust, use your favorite standard pastry for a two-crust 9-inch pie.

Prepare the crust, fill it, and bake as you would for any standard two-crust fruit pie.

12 Likes

Yum!
I’d never thought of a cranberry pie before, but recently saw a cranberry/lemon meringue pie recipe that I’m intruiged by. Seems like it would be a nice tart finish to a rich meal.

8 Likes

I’ll continue the cranberry theme, while I think about what else to share. This is a super simple sauce, but it just works. My sister-in-law would ask me for extra every year because she liked to put it on just about everything, from ice cream and oatmeal to chicken and pork. A former coworker said it was also good on venison :woman_shrugging: but I cannot personally vouch for that. My MIL makes a point of saying every year that “no one in our family really likes cranberry sauce,” and puts out a can of the Ocean Spray stuff, which remains there glistening on the plate.

Passive-Aggressive Cranberry Sauce
1 12-oz package of fresh cranberries
1 cup water
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 TBS fresh thyme, chopped (dried thyme doesn’t work here)
1-2 tsp mustard (Dijon is better)
pinch of cayenne pepper (unless you used a spicy mustard)
1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt (about half that if using table salt)

Combine water and sweeteners in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Add cranberries, stir, and then simmer approx. 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the cranberries have burst. Remove from heat, add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine, Let cool, then chill before serving.

(This freezes well too.)

12 Likes

For those who are cooking a turkey:

• Wet brine
  • Dry brine
  • I bought a pre-brined turkey (Butterball, etc)
  • No brine

0 voters

• I have no idea because someone else is cooking

0 voters

7 Likes

You need an option for: someone else is cooking the turkey in the same kitchen, and I have no way of knowing this week how they’re planning on doing it next week!

11 Likes

Done (sort of)
Won’t let me edit the poll, so I added another single option one. Tech is hard today.

9 Likes

I don’t have a recipe because I’m making it up as go but it’s just me and the wif so if I screw it up there’s always a bologna sandwich.

I’m either going to rig the spit and cook the turkey over a fire or spatchcook it over the fire or debone it and cook it over the fire in the backyard. It’s probably gonna be in the upper 20s so that’ll be fun.

Everything else is just routine pumpkin pie, apple pie, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc…

I’m sure my wife will do green bean casserole with those canned crispy onion things. That’s all hers because I hate green beans.

As far as the poll up there, I’ve been having good luck injecting the bird with anything liquid we have around like cider or teriyaki sauce or Kikkoman soy sauce etc…

On a side note, every few years our anniversary falls on Thanksgiving, this is one of those years. This is our 38th Thanksgiving being married and 42nd as a couple.

I suspect I’ll be asleep on the couch by 4pm.

11 Likes

Appetizer:

Cheddar-Cheese Shortbread (savory, not sweet)
with
Red-Onion Rosemary Piquant Marmalade

This is an appetizer that I’ve made many times—always very well-received. It’s got everything—sweet, salt, tart, richness, umami :smiley: I highly recommend it—it gets so many compliments, and people always ask for the recipe.

I put the shortbread out on a platter, and put the marmalade in a small bowl with a spoon.

(Adapted from a recipe found in Better Homes & Gardens magazine, December 2005. The shortbread part of their recipe seems fussy to me, so I just roll out the dough like a pie crust—and don’t worry about over-handling it, because if the result is too tender, folks won’t be able to pick it up and put on the marmalade without it breaking. BH&G uses thyme in the marmalade, whereas I use rosemary. And they make it all into little sandwiches—eh, too fussy for me! For those curious, here’s the recipe I adapted from.)

Cheddar-Cheese Shortbread
8 oz. white cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
pinch of salt

Combine the first 6 ingredients (all but the pinch of salt) as you would for pie crust (don’t worry about over-handling it).
Press dough together, divide in half, chill 30 minutes.
Roll each half approx. 3/16 inch thick, and place on ungreased baking sheet.
Using floured knife, cut into 1-inch by 2-inch rectangles. Do not separate rectangles.
With floured fork, prick each rectangle several times.
Sprinkle very lightly with salt.
Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown.
Cut through rectangles again, if any are joined, while still warm.
Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Use immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days or freezer up to 3 months.
Makes 7 to 8 dozen.

Red-Onion Rosemary Piquant Marmalade
2 large red onions, chopped (4 cups)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
generous 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
4 cloves garlic, minced

In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients.
Bring to boil over medium heat; reduce heat.
Simmer uncovered 45-60 minutes, until onions are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. (It will thicken more as it cools.)
Cool.
Use immediately or store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Makes about 2 cups.

12 Likes

In looking through our family holiday recipes, I noticed an important piece of advice on an otherwise fine-but-not-stellar recipe for cranberry sauce. I always forget, which is probably why I wrote it on the card many years ago to make sure I’d get it right:

1 quart cranberries
1 lb sugar (2 cups)
1/2 pint water (1 cup)

~~ these are US measurements, where a pint and a pound both have 16 ounces, which makes a quart 32 oz ~~

Boil cranberries and water 10 minutes with lid on. Put through sieve (N.B. sometimes I fudge this, to have a chunkier sauce) and back into the pan. Add sugar and stir, let it come to a boil and remove right away.

WILL NOT JELL IF LEFT ON HEAT AFTER IT COMES TO A BOIL.

11 Likes

Those sound amazing! And I love that it’s pretty much all stuff I would have on-hand at any given time.

7 Likes

On to the recipe I was actually pulling out to share. This was always the center of every holiday in which turkey was served, and yet it is very customizable: for decades now I’ve been making it vegetarian, and in the past 6 years I’ve had to switch to making it vegan. Easy peasy. Note: I double the spices and then add more to taste. Midwestern spice levels are ridiculous!

Turkey Dressing

1 lb pork sausage fried brown and drained
12 slices white bread toasted (use the oven, it’s faster)
1 medium onion minced and sautéed in butter
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter melted
2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Cook giblets until tender; save 2 cups liquid. Mix broken toast with onions and spices, then add melted butter, then add the giblet broth a little at a time. Bake ASAP after mixing.

Simple but always a hit.

9 Likes

I have been enjoying reading about the First People’s food choices.

7 Likes

It is not Turkey time without visiting with Laurie’s and my favorite cooking mentor. Our sweet friend Mary Risley who runs Tante Marie’s French cooking school here in San Francisco. :heart:
The best advice for your Thanksgiving get together:

10 Likes

LOL! I just suggested in the other thread that you cross post here!

9 Likes

The bits about prepping the turkey always remind me of this classic commercial:

:rofl:

8 Likes

Remember the advice of Dan Savage about those holidays where food and drink are a big part of the celebrations-f**k first!

6 Likes

And look what just showed up in my newsfeed!

Our family recipe comes from Minnesota, not Illinois, but otherwise, I feel seen.

And yes: “stuffing” is when it’s baked inside the turkey – it’s right there in the name! – whereas “dressing” is when it’s baked separately.

8 Likes

When you try to make stuffing for a spatchcocked turkey:

Pancake Day Breakfast GIF by SoulPancake

6 Likes