It's time for another Thanksgiving topic

7 Likes

“The timing is perfect because next week is Thanksgiving,” host Ainsley Earhardt told Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance.

‘Fox & Friends’ Hosts Gush Over Convicted War Criminal Pardoned By Trump

7 Likes

Meh. I am now in land of October Thanksgiving. So probably just another day for me unless we see a nice place offering usain turkey day food.
Cakeday is Monday of that week for me this year and I will be celebrating that by an excursion of some sort. As it is possible to take a bus to the ferry and then another bus to Victoria I am pondering getting up early and having high tea at The Empress and just poking around for the day before heading back.

16 Likes

I’m in the opposite situation, this will be my first usian thanksgiving and I’ve been researching meal ideas for a Texan thanksgiving feast.

19 Likes

I was just looking for someplace to post the “Thanksgiving is for celebrating war crimes” quote

So wrong, except completely right, except not how they think they’re right, at all

11 Likes

20 Likes

I may have already mentioned this last time, but:

Thanksgiving movie, very different from the norm. Highly recommended. Patricia Clarkson rocks.

Awesome soundtrack, too:

11 Likes

Don’t forget to stop by Roger’s Chocolates to pick up some treats for home.

Back when I was a stock broker – international duty charges and shipping wasn’t cheap – I used to send boxes of their stuff to clients. I was their best friend every December!

9 Likes

Somehow over the years my household has become the defacto Thankgsiving Dinner house for our circle of friends, and somehow that dinner has been extended to include these staples:
• Turkey (dry-brined, per Kenji)
• Dressing (Stove Top, per tradition)
• Green bean casserole
• Mashed potatoes, gravy
• A big pot of bigos
• Golabki, which are delicious but rarely eaten

11 Likes

Wot? No canned cranberry sauce, the one thing my brother will eat only if the ridges from the can are still visible?

No kidding.

8 Likes

Usually I look at the Threadgill’s menu because it’s so very very Texan; it’s pretty much all there for you.

https://www.threadgills.com/holiday-info

Regular daily Threadgill’s menu:
https://www.threadgills.com/menu

ETA: my mate says Threadgill’s downtown closed last year, but the north Threadgill’s (the original location, in the converted gas station), is still open.

8 Likes

The nice thing about being the “estranged relative who lives 3000 miles away” is that I don’t have to endure any awkward and stressful holiday family get-togethers.

Every year, I have good food with people that I actually like and want to be around, and for that I am most thankful.

22 Likes

BBQ can happen anytime, here. There’s deep frying, but that’s dangerous if you’re a rookie. Also, there’s always tacos!

1 Like

For LGBT people who don’t have accepting family - or are just alone in the world- the Philadelphia LGBT center welcomes you on Thanksgiving. Your local org probably does something too.

| — | — | — |
|Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner

WhenThu, November 28, 1pm – 3pm

Description

Celebrate the holiday with friends, meet new people & enjoy some great food, We’ll provide the savories– including vegan- but feel free to bring some sweets to share. Please RSVP @ 215-732-2220.”

18 Likes

Good call, I forgot – we always do cranberry sauce both ways, a bowl of delicious homemade cranberry-orange sauce with walnuts, and a dish of the ridged canned stuff for the one or two people for whom it’s apparently a nostalgic thing.

10 Likes

Maybe it’s nostalgia, but I will say one thing for the ridged stuff, you know what you’re getting. Homemade can definitely be much better, but sadly I’ve had worse.

And I can’t help but be amused by a “food” which retains the shape of the can.

8 Likes

It’s always a turkey breast for me - a full bird is just too much. Going for smoked this year for the first time.

The usual sides- stuffing with chicken sage sausage is my fav.

8 Likes

Having grown up eating canned bread, I am in no position to mock anyone who likes cranberry sauce in the shape of a can.

9 Likes

How was that stuff? And how long will it store for?

3 Likes

It lasts forever on a shelf; I actually still enjoy it – it’s a dark brown bread (with or without raisins) that’s very m-o-i-s-t and tastes strongly of molasses with a nice bit of sweetness. Great with baked beans or just with butter. My sister likes to put ice cream on it.

11 Likes