Spatchcocking a turkey: is this the way?

Turkey spatchcocked and brining, ready to smoke on the pellet grill for the big day. It was definitely a little challenging to spatchcock a partially frozen bird, but I managed.

5 Likes

For big, cold birds, Pepin recommends taking a sharp paring knife and cutting about a knife-width incision under the wing “armpits” into the joints, and into the thigh/hip joints before roasting. This will let the heat penetrate the joints, i.e. raise the temp a few degrees there to reduce that iffyness of “is it done” in those tucked away spots that stay pink while the breast dries out. My take is that even if some juices do flow out, it’s a wise move.

8 Likes

Smart. Will do that before cooking.

5 Likes

And fire pit roasted sweet potatoes and 100 proof Old Fashioned’s

6 Likes

Why is the word “spatchcocking” so unpleasant to my ears? I hate it.

4 Likes

Consonant to vowel ratio > 4:1?

6 Likes

Is it your ears, or does it make other regions shrink unpleasantly?

4 Likes

One dicks oneself out of stuffing the cavity with mirepoix and aromatics in this way.

4 Likes

Why promulgate the worst way to make stuffing?

6 Likes

Ooooh! I can’t wait! We could not find a small bird so there will be a lot of leftovers.

5 Likes

+1 on Spatchcocking, butchering, exposing joints, and sous-vide. But my favorite technique is to get a very sharp knife and slowly cut around the turkey to make a continuous and narrow 5mm deep cut (imagine peeling an apple). As you go you spool the cut onto a large reel, preferably 5-7" in diameter, salting to taste.

Hang the spool under an acetylene torch that fires as the spool is unwound. This allows your guests to dispense a ribbon of perfectly cooked turkey at any time. The one disadvantage is that without an industrial press stuffing is out of the question, but this is a minor drawback.

6 Likes

That’s ridiculous and absurd, but I hope my invitation to your dinner party is still good for next year. I will construct a gravy fountain that we can dip our acetylene turkey bits in.

9 Likes

Is that when Hanukkah falls really early? Love it. This year’s odd since it starts in the middle of December. Seems like it’s almost always either early December or late towards Xmas - hence ‘Chrismakkah.’

2 Likes

I was thinking this might be one of those overly explained ad filled blogs but either my ad blocker is working or this site wasn’t that… and his info was helpful. I’m definitely “fed up” with recipe posts where you have to scroll past five pages of the author explaining where they found it and what they think of it and what they guess you might think of it but you should really consider this other thing… all of which happens to accommodate more ads.

Anywhoo, I hope you write a follow up piece here on how it turned out!

3 Likes

There’s a Chrome extension that helps with those annoying recipe blogs with too much prose. No one needs a biscuit backstory.

9 Likes

It’s when one of the days of Hanukkah is on Thanksgiving- though there won’t be another one for about 70,000 years.

In terms of how Jewish festivals move relative to the Gregorian calendar, I think it has something to do with the fact that the Hebrew calendar adds leap months to keep in step with the seasons, and does this in 7 out of every 19 years. This year (5781) isn’t a leap year and neither was the previous one, so Hanukkah moved about 11 days “earlier”.

3 Likes

Cooking a turkey isn’t something I will ever do, but it makes me wonder, does everyone apart from me have a giant walk-in oven?

2 Likes

Because it helps to keep the turkey breast ■■■■■ while the legs get cooked properly?

3 Likes

A turkey or sizeable fraction of one is way too much for us. The store has a prepared turkey breast (stick it in the oven for 30 minutes, done) that does us two dinners and a bit.

With beef being chancy for mom, I’ve been thinking of trying out the ground turkey at the supermarket. A 1lb package should make a couple burgers and the rest can go into a shepherd’s pie type arrangement.

There are many variations. (Maybe I’ll try Panko electric crumbs.)

4 Likes

Spatchcocking a turkey: is this the way?

It… is one way…

ETA: turkey must be fully thawed or bad things happen when it goes in the fryer

6 Likes