Here's how to "nuke" a tweet

Originally published at: Here's how to "nuke" a tweet | Boing Boing

5 Likes
5 Likes

Lazy

Takes 2 seconds to check if someone else has written about this dude

1 Like

Twitter calls that button “Like” , but it can be used to bookmark things as well, no?
So if a scholar “likes” a Trump tweet (for sorting/retrieval purposes), does that make the scholar a follower/hater just because they clicked a button that was labeled by someone else?

Seems like some legit people can get caught in this net too.

2 Likes

Does it ‘subscribe’ to the tweet to continue blocking all the new people that like it?

The edge case you describe seems more than worth putting up with.

Also, you can bookmark tweets by bookmarking them. They have URLs. You don’t have to “like” terrible tweets to be able to find them again.

4 Likes

Epistemic closure accomplished, congratulations and enjoy the bubble. On the other hand perhaps the real problem is you’re using Twitter. Different strokes I guess.

2 Likes

I want the one that blocks ALL of Twitter.

8 Likes

I guess that one’s called ‘Better operate a newspaper franchise,’ then? Random things or fruit and a 64 GB drive every 8 AM?

2 Likes

Maybe you’re not aware, but twitter assumes your likes are endorsements. Your followers don’t just see what you tweet and re-tweet, twitter also shows them your “likes” as well (though not as often). If you find yourself wanting to bookmark awful things, maybe don’t do it in such a way that actively spreads it and makes it look like you endorse it.

5 Likes

Block Party by Tracy Chou is the twitter safety service I’ve heard the most about.

2 Likes

I’ve yet to find anyone who’s reported that being subjected to a constant barrage of lies and harassment online has been helpful for understanding other’s perspectives about the world, despite so many of these claims that it’s narrow-minded to want not to be.

6 Likes

I do. So, now you have.

Agreed.

No one is obliged to put up with hate speech, or other horrible, bad-faith behavior, out of some misguided ideal of “open-mindedness” or “tolerance.” Choosing to block it is not creating a stereotypical “echo chamber”; it can simply be a way to reserve one’s time, energy and emotional bandwidth for tweets that are worthy of them.

Tl;dr:

5 Likes

I don’t see why this hypothetical scholar wouldn’t use the bookmark function; it’s just a click away in the share drop-down.
Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 4.16.15 PM

2 Likes

it’s available! called “deactivate your account”. it’s fast and free, and guaranteed to block every single mf’er out there that tweets. i did it a while back and it really works!

4 Likes

The number of people you have to block to change your experience on social platforms is much lower than you’d expect. All of these sell the idea of a deep and endless content-ocean, but a) your Twitter experience is a fairly small sandbox in absolute terms and b) a handful of assholes can dramatically change your perception of a space.

Aggressive removal of outliers is pretty magic, in my experience. And clientside blocking, which this is, scales beautifully. While I support ‘ban all Nazis’ on aesthetic grounds, I think empowering people with clientside filters is probably more impactful than hoping Twitter gets better at moderation.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’d a like a feature to block anyone with the default avatar (used to be called Eggs)

if you can’t even be bothered to put up any sort of random image to represent yourself, then your opinions are probably not worth seeing - my actual experience has not contradicted this opinion.

Hmm. Discounting averting your eyes, this is an intriguing problem. You have to put a nope sticker on every account, one at a time. Perhaps pick a single irredeemably deplorable account and block them. Then block all their followers. And so on. Simple. Better get coding.

Which makes me wonder if there’s a Kevin Bacon game for Twitter.