Here's the page from the biology textbook that Arizona conservatives tore out

when you think Republicans can’t get any more bat shit crazy they up the ante

1 Like

There are other models of social functioning which may be more optimal. Maybe “useful idiots” who subordinate themselves are the irresponsible ones. And why should we assume that productive people don’t experience accidental pregnancies? Since they need less “help”, there is surely less data on these examples.

2 Likes

I wonder if the “Now we are going to talk about mammalian reproductive biology. Because reasons, absolutely none of this is trivially applicable to humans, which we aren’t talking about and are a totally different thing(but totally different in a totally different way than monotremes; because those things are just freaks), so definitely don’t draw any inferences.” approach would work?

2 Likes

Hmmm… Don’t think you could touch on all the issues using that approach. Who uses condoms besides humans?

1 Like

Off to Google! Search for 'Sex Education"

2 Likes

Arizona used to be a lot better. When I was in high school in Tucson in the seventies, we even had the Planned Parenthood people come to our classroom one day to show us all the fine methods of birth control available to us at the local drugstore.

I am glad that there’s an Internet these days, although the schools go out of their way to make useful information like this hard to get through filters. Just tell your kids: Don’t believe Yahoo Answers!

6 Likes

This censorship isn’t about preventing sex; it’s about making damn sure there are enough future burger-flippers coming in at the bottom of the pyramid to ensure the continued profit stability of the “job creators” at the top of the pyramid.

7 Likes

So, um, what is on the other side of that page?

8 Likes

contraception education is the #1 thing that reduces abortion. as with most conservative stances there is a deep dishonesty and disconnect between the stance and the espoused reasons for the stance.

9 Likes

this is an honors class… there’s no chance of them having sex anyhow…

7 Likes

At least the book had the page – I doubt that TX would allow such content in the first place…

6 Likes

The really ridiculous thing here is that the page is being removed for violating state law. The law in question requires that “childbirth and adoption” be taught in schools as the “preferred options to elective abortion.” There’s absolutely nothing about abortion here. Even within the context of shitty conservative positions about sex and women’s rights re: their bodies, the objection to the text is being dishonestly presented and the school board is either pusillanimous or shares the objectors’ agenda and is just looking for an equally dishonest excuse to advance that agenda. Either way: Christ, what assholes.

17 Likes

I believe the number one cause of unwanted pregnancy in the U.S. is abstinence “education”.

12 Likes

It is a sad sad day when either of the two concerns are realistic.

Teachers potentially being fired for sharing relevant and important information geared towards the students they teach, and the thought that a realistic work around is the old “well, I can’t help you myself, but I can mention how you could help yourself, without my knowledge of course…”.

1 Like

went to an all honors-level magnet high school.

didn’t fuck 'til I got to college.

living proof, folks. we are horribly dorky people.

2 Likes

Maybe the bible thumpers are pissed because abstinence is OBVIOUSLY not 100% effective:

21 Likes

I like the cut of your tinfoil hat.

2 Likes

My wife and I had our first when I was 31 and I was the youngest dad at the playground by almost a decade. You have to figure that many of these people are not going to live long enough to see their grandchildren.

1 Like

this made my day. :slight_smile:

I remember when I first learned about sex from a High School text book. Man, that changed everything. Suddenly I started noticing girls and was trying to get them out to try out all the things I’d read about in school.

4 Likes