Here's the page from the biology textbook that Arizona conservatives tore out

Honors?

2 Likes

“VAGINA” in big, bold Times New Roman.

6 Likes

AKA: Enjoyment
But hey, why on earth would adults want teens to know about that? They should have the benefit of a stigmatized and guilt-ridden education just like I did…

4 Likes

548? Quite a trick, tearing only one side of a piece of paper out of a book!

1 Like

Todo: design a book with Mobius strip pages.

7 Likes

This isn’t appropriate material for an honors class in high school. It ought to be remedial, for kids who need a reminder of the stuff they were taught years before. (Ok, they’re teenagers, maybe twice-yearly reminders wouldn’t be a bad thing either.)

8 Likes

Posted next to “Your brain loves rewards—whether you like it or not”. Perfect!

1 Like

I think you’re almost right: it’s actually the GOP’s election strategy for 2036 – just out-breed the Dems and they’ll control everything!

1 Like

Damn. In Nashville, Tennessee in the eighties we had a nice state legislator come and tell us that unmarried couples shouldn’t engage in anything more intimate than closed-mouth kissing, and a nice parent talked to us about how abortion is sacrificing babies on the altar of Hell. That was the extent of sex education we got in school.

I don’t know what’s sadder: that Arizona has fallen so far or that Tennessee had such a headstart on the race to the bottom.

3 Likes

… except themselves!!!

womp womp

3 Likes

I, for one, am deeply bothered by the implication that a child should be regarded as a punishment for sex.

4 Likes

Anything can be regarded as a punishment. As for people deciding what should be punishment - it’s far too pompous and judgmental for my tastes.

1 Like

This totally sounds like a plan that will work. Take the torn out pages and put them on the top shelf of the classroom with a big sign that says “do not read: the knowledge of good and evil” while you are at it.

Okay, I am pretty damned conservative, but come on. Hiding this stuff from our children is totally bonkers. You can’t deny reality. It has a nasty habit of wading into your perfect world and bashing the shit out of everything. My son is only eight, but I have been laying the groundwork his entire life to embrace both faith AND science. He will have easy access to condoms and an appropriate education of how things ‘fit together’. I’m not near ready to be a grandpa.

1 Like

I have heard this actual argument from a woman whose own daughter had a child at 16. Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

3 Likes

I would read that over and over and over and over and …

6 Likes

I can’t find it now, but there was a post on reddit the other day where someone’s older sister was disowned by their parents for getting pregnant out of wedlock.

Poster pointed out to the parents the photo they had on their mantelpiece of said daughter being the flower girl at their wedding. Photo disappeared next day.

11 Likes

Just make your daughter wear one of these:

Problem solved.

Nothing says safe sex like a full body condom.

1 Like

I got turned on for a moment - I thought she had a bicycle wheel on her head!