Here's the thing with ad blockers

Well, it is now. At least in the US.

Proof is much more interesting than that, though (apologies if I’m preaching to the choir).

The term originated in the 16th century, when payments to British sailors included rations of rum. To ensure that the rum had not been watered down, it was “proved” by dousing gunpowder with it and then testing to see whether the gunpowder would ignite. If it did not, then the rum contained too much water and was considered to be “under proof”. Gunpowder would not burn in rum that contained less than 57.15% ABV. Therefore, rum that contained this percentage of alcohol was defined to have “100° (one hundred degrees) proof”

Alcohol is much better than website adverts.

8 Likes

Give the guy a break, he’s drunk! :wink:

5 Likes

Yes yes but I was intravenously absorbing the Cannonball - do you see?

1 Like

Not quite drunk, but certainly drinked.

3 Likes

Two things.

Most of the adblocking defeat devices are scripting based. So noscript will sort them out. Marking both City AM and wired as untrusted sites with noscript will allow your adblocker to do its thing, and still read the articles.

As for IPAs, I’m not really a fan of the style, generally. People tend to use it as an excuse to cram in as many hops as physically possible, rendering the resulting brew full of flavour, but undrinkable, dry and bitter.

That said, this one is very nice.

3 Likes

Yes - I was heartily impressed by Long White Cloud - tried it a few weeks back!

So is it more of a traditional British IPA? I agree that most of the American micro-brews of the style are hop monsters and while novel for a time, are heavy handed and over-represented in the market.

(Also agree, NoScript sorts out a lot of the addblocker evasion issues.)

Hmm I’m not competent to comment on the level of tradition; but I’ve always liked British brewed IPAs. Luckily I have an amazing beer shop near me (Beer Boutique, SW London!) and have compared vs the USA IPAs. Agree the latter tend to sock you on the nose slightly mercilessly.

And I’m checking out Noscript - thanks everyone!!!

1 Like

Hm. I wonder if Wired works in Lynx*? Obviously it’s not a very pretty experience and not especially easy to use either.

* My go-to browser for fan wikis hosted on wikia and other sites prone to browser-malaise or questionable scripts. I recently threw a gen 6 Core i7 with 32 GB of RAM at them in a test and they still gave stock Chrome stutters.

I went to test it and it navigated the site fine but the first article that sounded interesting was a Gallery and I wasn’t prepared to download seven images to find out what it was actually about. :laughing: Well, at least not in Lynx anyway.

Do still kind of want to know what an “e Ink phone case” is. At any rate, I guess if you block enough scripts it starts working again. :wink: Doesn’t make for enjoyable Friday evening / Saturday afternoon perusal of Wired in any case.

I used to use NoScript back in the … Firefox 2.6ish to 3.0ish range? I’d run 2-3 really underpowered Linux computers where I’d hodged the original distro from this or that (the most recent was a Kubuntu) usually with xfce to make it usable in the first place. Running a crap ton of client-side scripts on the whims of (whoever was paying to make me look at things) was not on the agenda.

Haven’t really felt the need since then (although I have looked at their code from time to time … to paraphrase Kirk, “I don’t think these [companies] can code!”).

The one that still irks me is the news sites. “You’ve read 1 of 3 articles you can read for free this month! Subscribe now!” I’ve yet to see it go from 1 of X to 2 of X because I’m don’t have occasion to read any one news site more than 12 times in one year (and I rarely clear cookies … if I anticipate an issue, I use Incognito). But they’re still telling me every time I go that I’ve read 1 of X articles.

At the point they tell me that, I haven’t even read 1. They’re interrupting my research. :angry:

Came for the ad blocker complaining, actually posted for the IPAs. :rabbit2:

I haven’t had the pleasure of actual English IPA but here are two of my local favorites (local by U.S. reckoning at least). Locals who complain about IPAs being overhopped, I steer in the direction of the eight point. Locals who like a very hoppy but extremely well balanced IPA, I steer toward the Hoppyum.

If I thought they’d survive the trip (and customs / import-export whatever!), I’d offer some in trade.

(This post was going to be muuuuch longer. It’s still pretty long. Sorry.)

3 Likes

I’ll talk to my beer shop - they have all the import / export arrangements, and stateside relationships; they might well be raaaather interested!

1 Like

Isn’t surviving the trip the whole point of IPAs?

3 Likes

Yep. That’s not the part of the survival I’m worried about. :laughing: More concerned about the bottles themselves and not getting weirdly treated by staff / inspectors handling them crossing over borders.

“This, gentlemen, requires Arcane Form 230594932 filed in triplicate, signed by three members of very specific embassy staff, a tariff payable only to my cousin Reginald, and a recent medical history of any cats living in the vicinity of the brewery and bottlers. Since it has none of these things, I will now pour it into a toilet so I may not be accused of misappropriating shipments. Allain and Gerald, please witness.”

In fairness, it may not actually be that difficult but shipping alcohol between states in the U.S. is apparently troublesome.

3 Likes

Holy cow but the USA is arcane. I’ve had the deep misfortune of being involved in some inter-state trade, and I can tell you, how do I regret it.

The US federation makes the European Union look like a free trade paradise.

I’m on the Cannonball again. I don’t drink much (honestly!) but mmmm this stuff is good. Once again though, it’s more powerful than you’d give its innocent demeanour credit.

Edit: I had a bit of a sore head today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 350 days. New replies are no longer allowed.