Here's what a Disney Pirates ride looks like, without the sex-slave auction

It is good and reasonably accurate to have female pirates. I hope that they put some effort into the dialog. The auction scene was particularly notable for the dialog, which was highly nautical.
"Shift yer cargo, dearie. Show ’em yer larboard side!..Strike your colors, ya brazen wench. No need to expose your superstructure!"
That is absolutely first rate pirate dialog.

6 Likes

The redhead is a major character in the new Pirates movie. So, it’s not entirely a PC move.
In fact a female Pirate is historically correct and based on the historical pirate Anne Bonny. Bonny met and befriended another female pirate, Mary Read, and served with Read’s Husband “Calico Jack”…and all became ah…'good friends’
Anne Bonny was indeed a red-head of Irish Decent.

The Trio stole the ship “William” that was anchored at Nassau, recruited a crew and commenced to raid and pillage. Both women escaped the noose when they where discovered pregnant…presumably by Capt. Jack.

3 Likes

A couple things;

• Ann Rice herself is a full grown adult, but I can fully believe that her target demographic is adolescents.

• The tripe she wrote under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure is a wretched example of erotic literature which romanticizes the idea of human trafficking.

Generally, most wise people go to museums & libraries for historically accurate accounts of piracy and other inhumane, antisocial crimes; not to theme parks like Disneyworld with their underaged kids in tow.

12 Likes

My theory is those guys like to imagine having the ability to purchase that redhead, but even in their most fantastical daydreams they can’t see a scenario in which they’d be able to hook up with an attractive woman who has both free agency and a gun.

10 Likes

Hark! The voice of experience! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

An African slave auction might be even more authentic. What’s really weird is how this would be seen as ghastly vs the hilarity of selling women, presumably to be raped.

But somehow the ribaldry of the old story is more amusing than this new treasure auction. The appeal of pirates is they are bad people. Rebels. And hedonists in port. Too bad they couldn’t have doubled down on the naughtiness by making the the auction run by a madam of her employee’s services for an evening. And an opportunity for the women to make comments about the men.

4 Likes

That would be too explicit about the sexual nature of the auction—oddly enough people are OK with sexual slavery but not prostitution. Sex cannot have a monetary value and cannot initiate from women; it has to be “de-valued” in this way or else moral panic, etc etc etc.

But sexual slavery is fine.

6 Likes

When did the pirates tell you this? What are the different values that the women posses for the pirates?

3 Likes

Wow…

Welcome to the BBS, comrade.

11 Likes

The pirates are shouting out, “We wants the redhead! We wants the redhead!” That was when they told me. Do you really need me to explain why that is?

1 Like

My buddy had a record with a good portion of the dialogue.

2 Likes

Wait, what?

I saw the “new Pirate movie,” if the new Pirate movie the thing that just left the theaters with Johnny Depp. Where was the redhead? It wasn’t the girl I thought blonde who keeps saying she’s a woman of science, was it? Was it somewhere else and I missed her? Is this some other movie?

Hey, the old sign said “Auction: Take a Wench for a Bride”.

As everybody knows married people don’t have secks. Plz update title.

Thx.

:neutral_face:

Keeping the fact that this is an entirely fictional situation in mind, what do you believe that chant has to do with your explanation of their motivation to hold an auction to sell 5 or 6 women, and why that is more logical than auctioning valuables?

3 Likes

Humm…Re: Redhead in Pirates movie.
I haven’t seen the movie and it seems I’m basing my statement off of some early script chatter.
Still the “redhead” in the pirates attraction brings the attraction closer to history—and just a PC move.
And with Disney…they probably have long term plans for adding that for next movie.

Yeah, at least at a museum when your daughter asks why those people are trying to buy a lady you can defer the explanation to the plaque. I mean, Space Mountain, Epcot, Haunted Mansion, sex slavery. One of these is not like the other, and I dunno about anybody else, but being reminded of that existing is kind of a buzzkill…

6 Likes

I think I’ve explained it about as well as I could previously. I don’t really think there’s anything I, personally, know how to add that would make my argument clearer for you.

I didn’t see the last couple of movies but I thought “Scarlett” (one of the wenches who decked Jack in the first movie) was meant to be a shout-out to the Redhead from the ride.

2 Likes

It’s mind boggling what mental contortions some commentators are inventing in order to argue about this.

How hard is it to understand that:

A) No one with any common sense goes to an amusement park for an accurate accounting of history…

B) A theme park that caters almost exclusively to young children isn’t an appropriate setting for even the inference of historical sexual exploitation, which is a real and horrific atrocity that still afflicts human society to this day.

‘Political correctness’ doesn’t have a damn thing to do with correcting repugnant errors in judgment on the part of the people who originally designed the ride 30 or 40 years ago.

16 Likes

I think I just found a new career for historians - ensuring the accuracy of amusement park rides.

11 Likes