Here's what a song composed in 1400 BC sounds like

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Wow, that was REALLY old school.

6 Likes

[oblig.] Yeah, I used to be really into the Ugarit scene back when it was still… underground…

19 Likes

Totally, man, I was like so into ugaritic cuneiform when it wasn’t cool, but now it’s totally played out.

5 Likes

I’m impressed they had reverb available 3400 years ago.

5 Likes

more goatbell

21 Likes

omg, i just watched that episode of the original series about a week ago. them space hippies were FAR OUT, and of course, starfleet was trying to keep them down!

5 Likes

Indeed

6 Likes

Dude shreds!

3 Likes

People keep doing this - giving us the real true authentic music of the dinosaurs. I did a little clicking, and the scholarship is extremely speculative, certainly nothing like reading a musical score. (I was surprised to find it does, at least, mention a few intervals.) What was it last time, the music coming out of that guy’s butt in the Garden of Earthly Delights?

I think this music can be used to charge your homeopathic moon crystals, so at least it’s useful.

4 Likes

Certain parts are really reminiscent of Landini’s Ecco La Primavera; really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sdd1ivlWzo

Some shades of Andreas Waldetoft’s interpretation of In Taberna too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOW20IrnlIk

1 Like

Yeah, I find it amusing when people decide they have decoded this kind of ancient stuff, when we’re not even sure exactly how Beethoven performed his own music, even when it was meticulously noted in modern terms. I mean, this sounds super cool and everything, but it’s still essentially a wild guess.

3 Likes

I can’t be the only one currently whistling the Old Spice song.

1 Like

You can hear how the melody fits the earliest recorded song lyrics, as well.

Yabba dabba doo,
Yabba dabba doo,
Yabba dabba dabba dabba doo.

10 Likes

It’s pretty much all their forebears had. Cave bone-whistlers would’ve killed for a dozen egg-boxes.

3 Likes

“Content not available in Assyria.”

19 Likes

This. This is a wonderful thing.

Those of you enjoying the music: you’re gonna love Paul Metzger.

1 Like

I did like this. Thanks!

1 Like

If I said I sounded like that, I’d be a lyre.

6 Likes

Forget not about these guys.

3 Likes