Here's what official Islamic State “wear a hijab, or else, ladies” paperwork looks like

What’s with all the splitting? Can’t we just call them all dominionist theocrats who want to replace the constitution with the ten (out of roughly 620) commandments?

1 Like

I dunno, I didn’t do it.

1 Like

Heh, I got frustrated being quiet… I’ll just go back to my corner and sit still.

[insert gif of Dennis the Menace fidgeting with his hands]

(Surprisingly, Mason Gamble was nominated for the Razzie’s Worst new Star for Dennis the Menace. Which blows my mind. He did an awesome performance in that movie. Also working with Christopher Lloyd must’ve been a blast. Apparently he’s great with kids, according to his interview on The Nerdist podcast.)

1 Like

You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists.
– Abbie Hoffman

If someone wants to wear a hijab or slice up their genitals, I’m all for it- But if you want to know whether it’s empowering or oppressive, all you need is to ask one question:

What happens if you say no?

1 Like

First, once again, I’m in no way defending this practice or ISIL… if you think I am, then you need to re-read what I wrote. That’s not what I’m doing.

Second, why are we conflating two separate cultural practices here? There is no need to do that. I’m not even sure that ISIL practices that, given that it’s a practice more associated with parts of Africa, and the Western side of the Middle East.

1 Like

Didn’t say that. I actually think I had intended to reply to @LDoBe.

1 Like

Welp, either way, I didn’t intend my comments to be a defense of ISIS, just that the hijab isn’t necessarily an oppressive thing.

1 Like

I’ve got a friend who wears one and finds it liberating. Like I said, I think the context of a thing tends to be more important than the thing itself.

2 Likes

Sounds like we basically agree, then!

1 Like

Well, I’m always happy to argue for it’s own sake.

2 Likes

I have done absolutely no research, so forgive my ignorance, but why can’t religious clothing like a hajib or even more restrictive forms at least be white? For people that find them liberating are there possibilities for venting or airflow without sacrificing their intentions?

I can barely wear a black tshirt in Arizona.

-edit-

Ah, I see, it is permitted. Black is simply the most common and perhaps most modest?

http://islamqa.info/en/39570

The young women at school in hijab often try and outdo each other in their styles. You see some gorgeous colors, patterns, and textures on their headcoverings. I always enjoy seeing what they come up with and I rarely see them wear the same thing twice.

1 Like

Some day I will know everything. Until that time I will be humble and acknowledge my ignorance :smile:

I remember a story my wife told me about a teacher she had. She explained, for her, wearing a hajib was a way of saving the most beautiful and timeless part of her–her hair-- for her loved ones. It was moving.

1 Like

Hair after being under a sweaty (often synthetic fabric) covering all day isn’t all that beautiful.

I understand what you are saying. But let me slightly flip what I was trying to say–i save my hairy tummy for my loved ones :slight_smile:

And the rest of us thank you very much for that consideration!

2 Likes

Not to get too far off track, but in seriousness when an individual makes a decision to wear or not wear something because of honest beliefs, I can only answer, “cool!”. I like the aesthetics of hajibs, Mennonite clothes, Catholic religious regalia, and especially Russian Orthodox. And don’t get me started on how badass the Swiss Guard is.

I have a problem with coercion, but I suspect that goes without saying.

Some day all my clothes will be riffs on the pic below. And if others choose religious garb, good on them. Our ‘uniforms’ are effective communication techniques as long as it isn’t coerced or forced.

1 Like

Nothing but Wellies to catch that fish? Can you say “staged photo”?

In all seriousness, a white man choosing to wear a 3-piece suit to go fly fishing is at the other end of the spectrum of an Arabic or African woman wearing something that is hot and acts like horse blinders because her society believes she is the reason men commit crimes.

IFF someone chooses to use a phrase or item of clothing for self-expression which was previously used to limit and oppress them, that’s great. While the oppression is still happening, I don’t think you can separate symbol from reality.

1 Like

I am not going to argue that point, but I am going to remain optimistic.

1 Like