Here's what official Islamic State “wear a hijab, or else, ladies” paperwork looks like

I think that presumes that you know or more accurately, assume, what every woman who is wearing a hijab feels about it. I’m not sure that’s quite fair. Not every Muslim majority country have modesty laws that require covering. Not every Muslim majority country is Saudi Arabia or Iran or the Sudan or Somalia. Call out the oppression, not the cultural expression that spans all sorts of spaces, times, and meanings.

I agree with you in the long run, but I don’t think we’ve come to a point in the evolution of that particular cultural expression when we can trust that any given individual is choosing freely without the weight of cultural/ideological baggage.

Here’s a similar example: someday, a 4-year-old girl in the U.S. will be able to state that she only wants toys that are pink because that’s what she likes and it will be believable that she is truly making that choice for herself.

1 Like

I believe white is worn (a least in some places) while mourning.

1 Like

I think gender normantive toys are not quite the same as religious items. I say we point out the oppressive nature of ISIS itself rather than the presumed oppressiveness of a widely adopted article of clothing with religious overtones. Why let ISIS control the narrative here?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.