Hertz sues Accenture for screwing up $32 million website redesign project

Not both those things, no. However many lawsuit replies are more or less “We stipulate to the allegations against us, however we have refunded the original payment/repaired the defect free of charge/in some other meaningful way fixed things and submit to the court that the issue has been handled”

This is a standard sort of reply to car defects fixed under warranty, and consumer electronics as well.

“Hey I fixed it” isn’t a slam dunk, in part you need to show a court that you did indeed fix it as opposed to just saying that. You also have to try to avoid liability for any consequential damages (“my car stoped working, so I got fired from my job…you own me lots of money, not just a fixed car!”). Normally you have to show that something was really substandard about the process of fixing the issue to get much here (“I had to argue with them for six months before they fixed it” for example, or “It took six weeks for a simple repair”). Showing that someone did or should have known about the problem in advance can be helpful (so in this case if Accenture assigned the project to a team that had screwed up like this before it would be extra bad for them, if they assigned it to a team that had done good jobs before and just happened to screw this one up, then damages are likely to get a more limited interpretation - not that that comes into play here with Accenture claiming none of the complaints are true).

1 Like

Hertz should have bought the optional insurance for an additional ten million dollars. Shame on them.

18 Likes

“Alex, I’ll take ‘Brown Ring of Quality’ for $600.”

6 Likes

I suppose the next step is “How do you say ‘will you design a web site for ₹10000?’ in Indian?”

3 Likes

I almost always rent through Alamo with no issues - knock on wood - but the last time I rented from Hertz, this is what happened:
We flew to SAC and rented a car to drive to Tahoe. Was easier via Southwest to do that than to fly to Reno, etc…
Anyway, we picked the car up no problem but when we brought it back there was literally no one there at all. Wasn’t like midnight or whatever, it was early evening. There was a recording playing that said to pull the car up and drop the keys off in a box.
Couple days later, I get a recorded call from Hertz telling me that they never got the car back and were charging me for these extra days plus fees.
I called THEM back and said what happened when we dropped the car off and that I would reverse any charges that came into my card with Chase. Thankfully nothing came of it after that call, but what assholes.

6 Likes

I could have screwed it up for a lot less.

5 Likes

They are notorious in Europe for failing to man their return stations at major airports, then dinging customers for extra days and nonexistent damage.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome book title: Crying Into Their Legal Pillow: My year and a half as an Accenture consultant

10 Likes

No shit, I didn’t know that.
I travel a fair amount and rent cars a fair amount as well - though the last several years I rely on Lyft more. Euro trips we use public transport.
I have NEVER seen an un-staffed rental car place except that one time. Very weird.

1 Like

There’s a #Hertzhurts hashtag on multiple social media platforms…

1 Like

What do you get when you pay a global management consulting firm $32 million to redesign your website?

What you deserve for being so stupid.

4 Likes

Ouch! $32million? Now that Hertz.

6 Likes

i’ll do it for $15,000,000. hell i’ve always wanted to learn coding and that would be some serious incentive. besides, how much more botched could i make it?

8 Likes

To be fair, that averages to something like $10/hour of listening to the “input” of every idiot in from the customer’s marketing and management divisions.

2 Likes

As someone who works at Accenture …

shrug Could be.

But for all the webdevs here: this was absolutely not $32 million just to redesign the website. This almost certainly also involved value-based blockchain AI DevOps bots Agilely rotating their way to the new. You can’t put a price on that.

10 Likes

Slowly I turned

I actually had a whole rant typed out and then decided it might be better not to have it hanging out there, public-like. Suffice it to say that my encounter with them (actually they were still “Andersen”), over 20 years ago, still isn’t far enough in the past.

8 Likes

I’m always a little amused when a relatively new independent web developer is amazed that smaller companies will enthusiastically pay a few grand for a rudimentary but functional website delivered on schedule. White collar rackets like this have exponentially inflated the price of sticker shock.

As for Hertz…

Tiny%20Violin%2C%20LeBron%20James%20%5Boptimized%5D|nullxnull

6 Likes

Accenture sued over website redesign so bad it Hertz: Car hire biz demands $32m+ for ‘defective’ cyber-revamp

Can’t wait for the Chuck Tingle novel inspired by this.

6 Likes

The pain is worse when public/taxpayer funding is used to pay for projects like this…

5 Likes

Hurtz in the Butt by Axxxenture for $32 Million, by Chuck Tingle

9 Likes