Hertz sues Accenture for screwing up $32 million website redesign project

Ahahahah. Ahhahahahahahahahaha.

Google “Phoenix Pay System” to see why I am laughing.

:cry:

7 Likes

Also, in 2014, Oregon sued Oracle, charging that the software giant failed to deliver the state’s “Obamacare” healthcare exchange Web site as promised. The state claimed that the company sold it “hundreds of millions of dollars of Oracle products and services that failed to perform as promised.” The state sought $6 billion.

http://fortune.com/2016/09/15/oracle-oregon-law-suit-settlement/

8 Likes

Jeebus, who heads that company’s PR and Sales departments? Is there a Professor Harold Hill School of Marketing somewhere cranking these people out and releasing them on gullible government workers?

Well, ya got problems
Right here in all your cities
With a capital “P”
And that rhymes with “T”
And that stands for Tech

5 Likes

How many users were expected to use these websites? And of those users, how many were expected to perform nontrivial tasks through the website?

If end users can book a car through the app, it’s different than an app that allows a Hertz employee to take an order. And it’s different than a website that advertises to prospective customers.

5 Likes

One was the official Olympics site, so… a lot of people used it.

Another was a CMS-centered group of sites for a medical corp’s global operations, which had quite a lot of “nontrivial” operations.

Trust me, I’ve got a pretty good idea of what goes into a car rental website. And it isn’t $32 million of work.

9 Likes

I was going to construct some kind of joke about a new website for Hertz based on their old one from the '90s, but I looked it up at archive.org and it was pretty good. Nothing to mock really.

3 Likes

Well, we’ll know more as the litigation proceeds. It’s sounds as if your company spent most of its money on meeting your client’s expectations, instead of on sending legions of consultants for constant face to face meetings to better align the client’s unrealistic expectations with Accenture’s expectations of profitability. Rack up those billable hours.

1. After Accenture put on an impressive, one-day presentation for the Hertz team that included a demonstration of the transformed Hertz digital experience, Hertz selected Accenture to design, build, test, and deploy Hertz’s new website and mobile applications (or“apps”).

It’s all about wowing the management. The actual development can be outsourced to the lowest bidder once the consultancy income starts drying up.

2 Likes

Dude, they got $32 million dollar websites to pay for.

3 Likes

I can just hear some Microsoftie; What? We can’t use Vis Studio. Whul… why would you want to do it that way? Modern Web development standards are way too open, powerful, and easy to use for those trained in proprietary, mystery, and closed. What? You want to change the color on a box! Ho ho, that’s gonna cost you. I’ll get the paperwork started.

allafarce says this was a naive decision on Hertz’s part

3 Likes

People are talking about building in-house talent. I was part of the in-house talent at Hertz. We were executing the strategic initiatives (at some level we came up with them), and we were doing a damn fine job at it.
In early 2016, they fired us all. We were made to train up our replacements (at IBM in India) in order to receive severance packages. Later we found out that Accenture had picked up the initiative. And now the world knows the rest of the story.
All the points made here (ie warning signs, organic initiative) were passionately made at the time to Hertz brass. But someone, no doubt on a golf course somewhere, sold them the idea that they can save millions on paper. And, on paper, they were right: Shortly after firing us all, the CIO received a $7 million bonus. Unfortunately for everyone involved (except the CIO, of course), paper doesn’t reflect reality.

3 Likes

Can I get the icon in cornflower blue?

1 Like

I was just at a front end developer conference, and Accenture had a table set up as sponsors. Talk about bad timing, the only topic people were interested in was the Hertz fiasco, and the poor booth nerds looked forlorn.

5 Likes

That does seem like a dumb thing on Hertz’s part. Also dumb, doing in depth systems development / legal analysis on Twitter, 280 characters at a time. :-/

Twitter is stupid. Get off my lawn!

Oh so surprised that no one has posted about the “Let Hertz put YOU in the drivers seat” ad starring OJ Simpson.

That’s such a naive, poor decision, and a way for the suits to abdicate responsibility and go play more golf, I can only guess. The best clients are the ones who collaborate and work with you every step of the way; I can’t imagine a client shoving a pile of resources my way and saying “OK, it’s all on you, let me know when it’s done and works perfectly. If you have any questions, ask each other, I’ll be in Bogota.”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.