Hertz to pay $168 million for falsely reporting stolen vehicles causing customers to be imprisoned

Originally published at: Hertz to pay $168 million for falsely reporting stolen vehicles causing customers to be imprisoned | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Way to live up to their name.

9 Likes

Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr said his company would “not always be perfect.”

He later added “Ooops, our bad. LOL.” followed by an ‘embarrassed’ emoji showing a little round yellow face with its cheeks flushed red with embarrassment.

People who had had their lives destroyed by Hertz’s policy could not be reached at press time, because some were homeless and others were still somewhere in the prison system.

12 Likes

Hertz called Dublin airport police on me back in the mid '90s for the crime of trying to book a car while dressed as a motorcycle courier.

Fuck Hertz.

7 Likes

Right? Don’t think I’ve ever rented from them. Mostly because they always seem more expensive.

7 Likes

The worst thing Hertz ever did to me was to tell me I had purchased insurance for my rental then to deny I had even requested it when I had an accident.

6 Likes

keep a paper trail yo

Basketball Wives Facts GIF by VH1

12 Likes

rose wtf GIF by The Bachelor Australia

4 Likes

Well they’re in bankruptcy court so they must be doing something right.

1 Like

It escalated quickly.

I was dealing politely with a woman at the counter and a guy with a mustache came up from back of house and started pointing in my face and shouting. I remained fairly calm and the cops came and threw me out.

Apparently producing a big wad of cash is not the way to rent a car, but I didn’t know that at the time.

7 Likes

very disappointed that the drivers of this behaviour aren’t seeing the inside of a prison cell. we can do better.

2 Likes

Why don’t they find whoever in Hertz is responsible for causing these erroneous arrests to be possible in the first place, and make sure that person gets to sit in jail for… well… at least the sum of the number of days each wrongfully accused customer has been sitting behind bars?

If I was among the wrongfully accused, I’d rather choose for that to happen, than get the monetary compensation.

3 Likes

They don’t care if you can show they are lying. They effectively doubled the charges when I rented a car from them in Europe by charging me a surprise fee of $500 for dropping the car off at a different location than where I picked it up, exactly as I told them I would do when I requested the quote. I contested the charge with my card company, but eventually lost it anyway.

So fuck Hertz. I will never rent from them, even if I have to bike in a blizzard.

5 Likes

Why is it big business can violate people’s rights and file a false police report without having anyone arrested? If I did this, I’d be arrested. The CEO should be charged with a crime and then maybe businesses wouldn’t do things like this in the future.

6 Likes

Indeed! (And welcome to the BBS.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.