HG Wells fans annoyed with errors on Royal Mint's commemorative coin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/hg-wells-fans-annoyed-with-errors-on-royal-mints-commemorative-coin.html

4 Likes

I didn’t know the type of hat in the invisible man, but yeah, the aliens were in tripods. This is what happens when you don’t respect the source materials.

11 Likes

How many eyeballs were there throughout the approval process and throughout the many steps of production? Surely there was at least one H.G. Wells fan among them. This is completely unacceptable.

9 Likes

If only we had a time machine, we could go back and put this right.

27 Likes

The top hat without a body is more “Gentleman Ghost” from DC comics than HG Wells.

17 Likes

That’s on the other commemorative HG Wells coin. You know, the one with the DeLorean.

42 Likes

Mine got jacked by a couple of teenage morlocks looking for a joyride. Luckily they went into the distant past and I was able to dig it out from the same spot I left it.

10 Likes

Hmmm:

My design takes inspiration from a variety of machines featured in the book - including tripods and the handling machines which have five jointed legs and multiple appendages. The final design combines multiple stories into one stylized and unified composition that is emblematic of all of H.G. Well’s work and fits the unique canvas of a coin.

That puts a slightly different spin on things, but still - the tripod design is the emblematic image for H. G. Wells, and as such it seems a very strange decision to go “nah, I’m going to do one with four legs!”

11 Likes

See, he was just splitting the difference! What an idiot.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Time machine. I see what you did there.

2 Likes

Took me a second to notice the hour marks around the top of the coin. I’m agnostic about the top hat, but the quadrapod makes me sad. So close.

2 Likes

Three of the legs are attached to the lowest part of the body of the tripod, the fourth leg appears to be attached to the carapace.

So maybe it’s a tongue or a death-ray?

Or maybe it’s deploying an escape slide?

6 Likes

It’s not a 4th Leg. It’s a Penis
This was censored from the original broadcast and subsequent movie versions.

/ study it out

17 Likes

And yet the machine depicted is only about as high as a coin! What an outrage!

3 Likes

I think that a hat gives more to the empty space for the invisible man’s head. May not be cannon but it help make the image communicate.

The space penis on the tripod does not, unless they are trying to communicate something kinky.

3 Likes

This is adorable, and available on the Amazons!

1 Like

What really burns is a lot of us UK old farts were fans of the series inspired by “War of the Worlds” set in a future where the Martians were successful in dominating Earth. The series called “Tripods”…

5 Likes

I remember that series because it was serialized in comics form in Boy’s Life Magazine.

The BBC series wasn’t aired on PBS in the NY metro area until years later.

4 Likes

One extra leg. Pah! Not as inaccurate as the Brexit commemorative 50p…

9 Likes