High carb diet linked to Alzheimer's

My friend did something similar. He said it was entertaining to measure the blood-sugar effect of, for’example, eating bananas, versus just looking at them.

ETA orders extra garlic bread for the table

2 Likes

That’s mild cognitive impairment?

What’s moderate impairment look like? Sheesh.

Alzheimer’s has been proposed as type 3 diabetes for a while now. It’s interesting to think it might be a metabolic disease.

8 Likes

I think the theory behind this is interesting. What I’ve read is that as we age our brain has a harder time metabolizing glucose which leads to a situation where our neurons are just starving to death or at least not working at their highest potential. Oddly though, we don’t seem to lose the ability to metabolize ketones as easily. Who knows, maybe just a cyclical keto diet is a way to manage such impairments assuming it’s very mild and not full blown dementia.

1 Like

Also wondering if there might be a more direct correlation to refined sugar. Eat high carb bread/pasta, experience sugar crash, grab a high sugar snack.

1 Like

All I can say is that I’m incredibly happy that I started doing a semi-cyclical keto diet myself years ago, back around the time Atkins became semi-popular. It’s been good for both weight control and (because moderate ADHD) surprisingly good for focus as well.

It’s been really interesting to see some MDs and other healthcare professionals (including a number of nutritionists) completely reverse positions on keto/Atkins since it first hit the stage. At first I got a lot of “but what about the long-term effects! It could be bad for your kidneys (lol no)”, and now it’s like “Yeah dude that’s so good for you, keep it up, just take a multivitamin and make sure you’re eating a ton of fiber with it”.

3 Likes

In the 80s, there was this guy out here in Los Angeles who built a small cult around surviving without eating. That’s right . I believe the cult called themselves “Airists”, that is, just existing on air (and, I assume, on just water). The whole shebang got sunk (as if that wouldn’t have imploded on its own) when the cult leader was discovered late one evening at a 7-Eleven carrying out bags of junk food.

4 Likes

Yes! I remember that! The Breatharians, I think.

2 Likes

That’s sounds like it. Back then we had one particular engineer on staff who actually thought the ‘movement’ was worth considering because “it’s in the newspaper, dammit! so it must be true!” He was an idiot.

4 Likes

I was kind of wondering a similar thing, like have they ruled out blood sugar irregularities as an early indicator or comorbid factor?

Don’t be silly.

The real pros know that you make a spaghetti burrito so the pasta doesn’t fall out all over the place.

2 Likes

I never could wrap my brain around ketones.
You do mean these things, right?

5 Likes

Just wait for it.

Now I got an image of Korg from Thor Ragnarok playing a korg Keytar. Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.