High school cheerleader wearing official uniform at school told to "cover up" by staff

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/15/cheerleader-dress-code.html

11 Likes

Rape culture and ingrained misogyny:

50 Likes

so, no teaching the boys to deal with their emotions? easier to get the girls to change, i guess.

34 Likes

Head Desk Laughing GIF

15 Likes

That all seems perfectly clear, only sexualise High School Girls in public, not in a classroom, and it’s all the girl’s fault anyway.

7zitxq6

45 Likes

it might be noted in passing that this exact asinine behavior: “gotta constrain the ‘girls’ in order to ‘calm the boys’”, appears in the religious laws of most of the major religions as well, (which should have the opposite effect of promoting it - but the mileage will definitely vary) -sigh-

24 Likes

In those examples, as well as this, it’s more about telling women and girls that they are not permitted to be themselves, they must always be what men want them to be. Even if those men have conflicting desires, the women must make sure at all times that they meet all those requirements. Sexualized, controlled, objectified, but never, never independent human beings. Fuck all that noise.

30 Likes

Completely unsurprised to see this is a tiny little town (and shrinking) with an increasing conservative bent in the past 10-20 years. The long time residents are seeing people move away and get into that “the old days were better” mindset.

10 Likes

It makes me wonder what the general reaction would be if the cheer squad got together and asked to make their regular uniform be pants, since the skirts are so very escándalo!

34 Likes

Great idea.

Also I must, because I do have the gif in my archives:

27 Likes

There’s plenty you can say about the bible, but the bits in Matthew that tell dudes to go blind themselves and cut off their hands if they can’t stop leering at / groping women are pretty solid.

17 Likes

No, that’s also very fucked up; demonizing people for having natural impulses rather than teaching people to control themselves.

22 Likes

Fucked up, but at least differently fucked up? Is that a good thing?

10 Likes

Not in the slightest.

14 Likes

Besides, if they wanted to diminish impulses; they would aim lower.

10 Likes

True.

9 Likes

Come On Reaction GIF

Middle Finger GIF by Tinashe

16 Likes

In my over 20 years of teaching, I have only dealt with dress code infractions twice. First was a grade nine girl in my class, who was wearing a skintight halter top as small and tight as possible and skintight leggings rolled down as low as possible. When the vice-principal told me to talk to her about her clothing, I refused. There was no way in hell that I was going to tell a grade nine girl who was, and I quote from another female student, “showing off her goodies”, that I noticed her that way. I told him to find a female teacher to deal with it. I didn’t really care what students were wearing, as long as they showed up to class.
The second time was with a girl who came in wearing a belt buckle that said “Fuck” in large letters. I gave her some duct tape to cover it up.

10 Likes

How long have you been waiting for the right opportunity, if I may ask.

4 Likes

And we can also add a charge of heteronormative.

13 Likes