High school student listed as "Black Guy" in yearbook photo

Lucky kid to have you encouraging social critique and critical thinking. While my partner and I try to be conscious people, our parents are still quite stuck in their ways but they made efforts to break their molds in their way. While every generation should make efforts to move onwards and upwards there are people actively indoctrinating children to drag us back. Racism is definitely learned not born… but the social pressures of fitting into a tribe , however detrimental, while in those formative years makes kids do some terrible shit too.

3 Likes

Right. Which is why this needs to be a basic part of school curriculum, among other things. Parents can do their best to indoctrinate children, but it does not need to be socially acceptable when it’s something that is actively harmful to society. We don’t accept many things as acceptable now that societies in the past used to, and we actively educate against it in fact.

Consequences is one of the ways that children learn. There should most certainly be consequences for students who promote racism in schools. Age appropriate, of course. All too often, we let young white boys off the hook for “being boys” while punishing children of color for far less dangerous things.

7 Likes

While it’s no real comparison, there was this recent Saturday Night Live sketch that was seriously low hanging fruit, where Issa Rae and the SNL cast were acting as Quebecois on a mock CBC special called Drake Watch.
Growing up in a French Immersion elementary school, there was already an Us vs Them instilled based primarily on the politics of a large military veteran population in town. French Poodles, English Bulldogs.
Given the Us vs Them narrative in US politics today, it’s considered light hearted to take the piss out of a presumed lack of journalism in Quebec and our yearning for celebrity culture.
Oooof. The polarization runs deep.

1 Like

I think that’s apples and oranges, though. There is nothing inherently wrong with identifying with either anglo or franco culture in Canada. It can lead to these sorts of divisions, but it does not have to. There is nothing especially bigoted in and of itself of either francophone or anglophone culture. There IS something inherently bigoted in white supremacy that others people with different skin colors. There is no merit in it, I’d argue.

And yeah, that sketch was pretty disappointing, I’d have to say.

7 Likes

whining about the unpopularity of one’s opinions is never a good look

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.