High school students who will not smile in the hallways are sent to mandatory counselling, while bullying is rampant

Right; how much of the teachers’ time was wasted with that meaningless nonsense?

7 Likes

giphy-6

4 Likes

my school district went to a uniform dress code which required solid tops from a list of colors, all tops had to have a collar and at least 3 buttons (permitting polo shirts), tops had to be tucked in to either a skirt (females only), pants, or shorts in a solid color from a list of approved colors and the bottoms had to be belted. the only exception to that was if a girl wore a one piece dress or jumper, it didn’t have to be belted. i lobbied the faculty for weeks leading up to the vote over dress code adoption to get them to vote against it. i also lobbied as many parents of my students as i could legitimately get in touch with before the vote. the district voted overwhelmingly in favor of it. after two miserable years wrangling with students over having their shirts tucked in the district finally saw the light and stopped requiring that. the rest of it we still have. i estimate that i was spending an hour a day–easily-- and possibly an hour and a half a day, almost the equivalent of one work day each week, dealing with that. i used my quota of “told you so” every time i heard someone who had voted for that dress code complaining about all the time they were wasting dealing with tucking shirts in.

12 Likes

Happiness is Mandatory.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Medication time… medication time

5 Likes

Yeah… dumb shit like this is why kid is looking into alternative schooling.

5 Likes

We know what will happen if you get to three tears, don’t we…:skull:

8 Likes

WTF are “jeggings?”

Ooooh. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s like they’re actively working to cultivate an environment that will precipitate a mass school shooting.

7 Likes

Now follow the reasoning everywhere it goes.

1 Like

3 Likes

Teachers also complain that the administration does not consistently follow up on their disciplinary complaints about students; but they report that school administrators are extremely vigilant about punishing students who question their own authority.

It sounds like the school is indeed preparing the students for life as productive members of American society. /s

2 Likes

Translation: The students doing the bullying are football players. The rules don’t apply to football players, and the fact that not everyone understands this without it being said enrages the schools “authorities.” The rules are there so that teachers and school administrators can crack down on the ‘problem students’ who don’t play football or get in the way of football players fists.

I went to a high school like this, but just before every teacher and school administator got carte blanche to harrass and denigrate all the students they wanted to harrass and denigrate. It was still a bit of a game and you could push the boundaries (which I did with gusto). They couldn’t just turn around and squeak ‘safety’ and have all of society drop to their knees and permit them any latitude they wished. The football players still got special treatment, of course. During my senior year of high school the entire football team except 1 or 2 players got arrested for underage drinking just before the state championship game. Every rule book in the world said the punishment for that was a no-brainer. They were all booted from the team and could not play. But, they were football players… and it was the state championship… and there was a good chance they were going to win! So, of course, they got to play. And they won. And the teachers didn’t even notice when the players didn’t bother to show up to the flaccid couple weeks of after-school detention they were supposed to attend. Yeah I’m turning 40 this year and yeah I’m still bitter, what of it? When Columbine happened I’d only graduated a couple years prior and I guarantee you some people thought ‘we barely got out alive’ when thinking of my friends and I. I wore a floor-length green military trenchcoat much of the time with Doc Martens boots. Many of my friends wore pin-stripe suits on Fridays and were referred to as the ‘pin stripe mafia’. I once wore a loud Hawaiian shirt to school with an empty 9mm pistol holster over top of it which skirted right through all the rules they’d put in our dress code without breaking any of them. Got away with it, too! Oh, and I’ve never even so much as been in a fistfight in my life. My group of friends were the ones you’d expect to shoot the place up. And they were absolutely the least violent, the least aggressive, in the place. They were the top X% of the class, the nerds and weirdos. They were the geeks you work for now. Intellectualism doesn’t sit back and get bored, it gets weird. And it will always win.

5 Likes

6 Likes

"Paranoia"

“Take your happy pills™ citizen!”

Given the lyrics, this song seems apt right about now:

6 Likes

Whats wrong?

1 Like

I got referred to the school counselor by a concerned teacher. By the end of the meeting we agreed that that teacher was a jerk, and that I was just over-done with High School.

More or less had this convo:

5 Likes

Apparently trying to get an outbreak of Smile Mask Syndrome going among the youth.

2 Likes

Smile; no one cares how you feel
Be vicious, vain, and vile
Everything’s yours to steal if you just smile
Have you no dignity?
Have you no sense of style?
You’ll never be pretty until you smile

Smile; no one cares how you feel
There’s a world to beguile
You can make this world kneel
If you’ll just smile

Always the best disguise