Highly-detailed post-apocalyptic abandoned gas station diorama

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/highly-detailed-post-apocalyptic-abandoned-gas-station-diorama.html

6 Likes

So he built it from pictures?

4 Likes

I think I saw that in Twin Peaks:

9 Likes

That’s an amazing replica of rural decay!
Having driven Route 66 from Chicago to L.A. in my 1940 LaSalle hearse a couple years back for the Lemons Rally, I got to see every single gas station along the entire route. Most of them had been converted into something else before falling into ruins. But a few were still old gas stations that had shut down and were slowly returning to the Earth.
The saddest example was one that had been turned into a Route 66 Museum, which had itself gone out of business and fallen into disrepair.

6 Likes

I was gonna say - I’d just call it “American” rather than post-apocalyptic. Plenty of gas stations like that, and three people, two of whom are wearing masks, one apparently living out of a car, the other two either carrying all their possessions in, or scavenging with, a shopping cart? That’s 2020 America, baby! The authenticity is downright uncanny.

3 Likes

My favorite Route 66 throwback:

3 Likes

Someone should point out that the Cameo series of Chevy trucks had a fiberglass bed and didn’t rust out. The cabs were all metal like all the other trucks just the beds were Fiberglass and damned handsome old trucks too.

1 Like

It’s people like this who are making the lives of future archeologists miserable.

How are they supposed to sort out how the tiny apocalypse happened, when there are tiny apocalypse fakes strewn throughout the rubble of our wonderful future?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.