Hillary Clinton secures Democratic nomination

and I live in California so a potted plant with “(D)” next to its name would be elected president by my state.

3 Likes

I supported Candidate Obama. President Obama has been nothing but a lackluster disappointment to me and, no, I’m not going to write an essay explaining why he is. I have better things to do with my day.

3 Likes

They make write-ins really hard in TX, though I probably will go through the effort just because I owe it to Her Highness.

The system is shitty. Protesting the system by voting for some other option doesn’t change the system as it exists today. So you can make a pretty-shitty vs. really shitty choice, or you can make no/other choice and let other people pick between pretty-shitty vs. really shitty without your input.

It would be an excellent thing if people were to organize, fund, and effect change, but for this election that didn’t happen, so if we visit the poll, we get those three(ish) choices.

2 Likes

My state voted in Greg Abbot as Gov. A potted plant would really have been far better.

5 Likes

Just for a ‘laugh’ I glanced at my (Fox News watching, Clinton-hating, personal friend of John McCain) brother-in-law’s Facebook page.

If he and his friends are representative, they aren’t loving their options either.

His hope seems to be that if Trump was elected, the legislative and judicial branches would have to do a better job. He describes Trump as the “president we deserve”. Luckily he lives in WA so his vote isn’t worth shit either.

1 Like

I live in a state permanently trapped with Darth Feinstein, that makes even Clinton-loving folks I know feel vomitous.

2 Likes

This is honestly the first time I ever recall seeing Republicans hand-wringing, languishing, and not immediately falling into line to back the nom. in a Presidential race. Even Romney, the Mormon who was pro-choice at one point and accidentally authored Obamacare got backing without a pause once he’d won the nom. The Speaker of the House was saying he supported Trump not only treated this as though it was some kind of event, but he had to write a rambling justification for why he was doing it. Dems. are a big tent where there’s always someone bitter, but the GOP’s been all about absolute lock-step loyalty since at least the 80s. We live in interesting times, alas.

5 Likes

You mean by, say, trying to elect an independent with leftist leanings in a popular grassroots movement?

God, I lived in CA, Feinstein has always been nauseating. Still if I could replace Ted Cruz with her, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

That would be progress. At this point that’s not a potential outcome for this election, though hopefully some third party could do something meaningful for the next.

2 Likes

I thought Democrats fell in love, Republicans in line?

Not seen that much of either this year (although I guess the GOP are trying…)

1 Like

Hillary just has to do a sax solo on the Arsenio Hall Show Oprah*, then we’ll all swoon.
* I have no working vocab of current talk shows

Well you have the choice of which Democrat to send to the Senate.

1 Like

Not a difficult one, though.

unfortunately, since the republicans seem more likely to be headed for a crack-up than the democrats, it’s more probable that a successful third party would be either a far right party or a center right party from the remains of the republicans.

1 Like

I am totally down with a schism permanently transferring a load of GOP votes to the Libertarians.

It would speed up the process of the same thing happening with the Dems and the Greens, and also stop the GOP winning anything.

2 Likes

Understood. I apparently replied before you retracted your statement.

I am voting third-party because I believe that neither of the current parties has a platform suitable for real life in this world. I very much dislike Hillary (because she exemplifies unacceptable values, to say the least), but I hope that you will appreciate that my dislike for her is not nearly my sole reason for casting my vote as I intend to. I want to see large-scale change in the political climate in this country, and I don’t think that that will come around if people merely bite their tongues, grit their teeth, and vote for the same assholes as usual.

(Edited to correct grammar.)

I’m hoping things go that way, Gary Johnson was doing surprisingly well last I looked:

1 Like

That’s very fair.

I’m voting for Hillary not because I’m biting my tongue, holding my nose, or any similar pained response, but because I feel she is the most qualified and experienced person running for president. I think we all have a lot of baggage with her – she’s been a media figure for decades – so it’s hard to look at her objectively the way most of us did when Obama appeared seemingly out of nowhere as a political superstar. But I agree with her policies, her platform, and her statements, and I think that any vague chance of Trump being elected simply isn’t worth hemming and hawing over. I don’t think she’s an asshole, a criminal, a warmonger, or a horrible human being. I’m ready to move on and get this done. (Edit: I should add that I was enamored of Bernie, and love his ideas and think he’s lovely old curmudgeon. I am not enamored of Hillary in that way! But I am also pragmatic.)

5 Likes

You should probably link it if you’re going to talk about it… for those who are somehow unfamiliar…

213 million views. Wow.

I misread that at eight sustainable years of research on zero energy and for just a moment… I had all this hope for the future. But then no. I had that backwards