His lowness Prince Andrew loses royal title

Infested with wild haggis.

12 Likes

It’s actually more difficult. Titles (Prince and Duke), though they are handed out by the monarch, can only be removed by Act of Parliament. This last happened in 1917, when various German and Austrian aristocrats who had fought against the UK in World War 1 lost their British or Irish titles.

These titles also have nothing to do with land ownership, and haven’t done since medieval times (with one weird Scottish exception which ceased to exist in 2004, and wouldn’t have applied here anyway).

7 Likes

david tennant laugh GIF by The Paley Center for Media

9 Likes

Oh no. What ever will he do now? Wait, what exactly did he do before this scandal?

5 Likes

Tune in for next week’s episode titled “Prince Goes Postal at the Palace”

What, like this one?

Dipendra was an Old Etonian, so probably not even the worst of his lot by a mile. Same with Andrew, by the dismal historical standards of behavior of monarchy, probably only a middling to low scumbag.

4 Likes

I hadn’t considered that at all.

Wild, free-range haggis is the best!

3 Likes

What royals everywhere do: play a role and convince enough other people that this is how things are supposed to be.

Andrew wasn’t very good at it, but it was his job.

1 Like

That seems like an odd thing to ask. Why would you think the Queen threatens people?

Right. That is what the help is for. Running such errands.

1 Like

Because they haven’t realised that it isn’t the 17th century anymore?

4 Likes

His successor suspended the constitution and was eventually forced to reinstate the parliament, which stripped him of executive power. Two years later the monarchy was abolished.

2 Likes

A quick google did not turn up what you mean here. Could you point me to a link that would explain this particular detail? Thanks.

2 Likes

Getting rid of those idiots Stuarts was the best thing Britain ever did.

8 Likes

Well, I didn’t expect to see a Jimmy Saville/ Prince Andrew mash-up today. But here we are.

4 Likes

Far be it from me to suggest the difference between the two is that Sir Jimmy had royal protection.

5 Likes

Charles’ll fix it?

2 Likes

Scottish feudal barons. Until 2004, when the Abolition of Feudal Tenure Act came into effect, the title of baron* in Scotland went with ownership of a particular piece of land- if the land was sold, the title went to the new owner. Scottish baronies can still be bought and sold, but now change hands separately from the relevant land.

*(Unlike in England, Scottish barons are not peers and never had a right to sit in the House of Lords or in the pre-Union Scottish Parliament. The Scottish equivalent of an English baron is a Lord of Parliament.)

3 Likes

Ah, I see: only barons!

I remember reading about that, but didn’t put together in my head that’s what you were referencing. In the interests of full disclosure, I worked for a Scottish Lord in the 1980’s, so I was wondering if his title was affected. Purely personal curiosity…thanks!

3 Likes