His lowness Prince Andrew loses royal title

Originally published at: His lowness Prince Andrew loses royal title | Boing Boing

9 Likes

On the bright side, maybe he’ll stop seeing the Royal Dentist now. That guy really sucks at his job.

14 Likes

Reboing

6 Likes

A story so good is all the better for being repeated. I hope that the victims of Epstein’s peado-ring get some closure.

20 Likes

What would the queen do if you just called her “she”, “her”, and “m’am” to her face, instead of the goofy pronouns? Would she lose her shit and throw a tantrum?

“How DARE you consider yourself my equal! Guards! Guards!”

Are there any threats against British publications that don’t do it?

2 Likes

Oh yes I agree, and Prince Pedo has tainted the rest of the Royals as well. I can see it all falling apart once the Queen pops her clogs.

6 Likes

Private Eye routinely refer to her as Brenda

11 Likes

20 Likes

Andrew remains Duke of York and ninth in the line of succession to the throne, but his title and duties will not be restored irrespective of the outcomes of the lawsuit or any future trials.

So “Duke” is not a “royal title” of which he is thus be-stripped? That is, prince → duke, is more like a demotion than a title strippage? (let’see… “do my ears vibrate badly” …duke marquise earl viscount baron… at least he didn’t have to suffer earl-dom?)

2 Likes

The Guardian, at least, is saying that Andrew won’t use the style HRH “in any official capacity”, which sounds less like a formal stripping and more a “voluntary” decision to mothball it despite being technically still entitled to it.

5 Likes

I think he has been stripped of his regal title, and not his holdings. I’m sure that, if she wanted, Madge could take back all of his lands too; stripping him of his Duke title.

9 Likes

Maybe some follower of brit politics can explain the implications of this?

I gather this is partly the royal family distancing itself from scandal. And it reads like they are also removing some royal family resources from the prince.

Is the intent to ensure a fair trial, by the removal of those resources? i.e. Prevent the prince from influencing the court in his favor?

Or is this stripping of resources also to do with making it hard for him to depart the UK and go somewhere beyond extradition?

1 Like

“Ma’am” is, I believe, the correct way to address her, once you’ve got one “your majesty” out of the way.

But royalty are supposed to be above noticing that sort of thing: they let their flunkies get scandalised on their behalf. Supposedly Charles II was once confronted by a Quaker who refused to remove his hat, and was highly amused by the affair.

3 Likes

I think it is entirely the first thing you mention: saving the monarchy (and the armed forces) a measure of embarrassment. You don’t want a Royal Highness being dragged through a lawsuit for sexual abuse, so he’s agreed to stop using that style (same way Harry and Meghan agreed to stop if they were going to go on Oprah — and the fact that those two scenarios are regarded as in any way equivalent speaks volumes about the twisted set of values at the heart of the British establishment).

12 Likes

He’s tried his hardest not to go to court. having failed the Royal family are in damage control, trying to make sure that they’re distanced from whatever comes out in court.

6 Likes

Tune in for next week’s episode titled “Prince Goes Postal at the Palace”

2 Likes

Yeah, it strikes me as a kind of “why should they really care” thing, because they are the ones living in a fucking castle… Also, I’m sure they care even less if it’s not someone who is British and of some kind of nobility who should know the protocol…

queen-elizabeth-dont-know-but-okay

Do you think she’s going to make it to the 70th anniversary of being Queen?

6 Likes

Her mother lived to 101, so I wouldn’t discount it.

Maybe not all it’s cracked up to be: apparently Buckingham Palace has had an ongoing rat problem since Victoria’s reign.

7 Likes

The things they don’t tell you about castle life!

There’s always Balmoral!

6 Likes

He no longer has royal protection?

6 Likes