Prince Andrew stripped of all military titles

Originally published at: Prince Andrew stripped of all military titles | Boing Boing

8 Likes

God Save the Queen.

4 Likes

Is he sweating now?

33 Likes

As someone that doesn’t particularly give two shits about British royalty, can someone translate this densely packed blob of doublespeak to something normal people can understand?

8 Likes

Oh, the grand old Duke of York
He had ten thousand men
He marched them up to the top of the hill
And then he was stripped of command due to sexual misconduct and had to walk back down disgraced and alone

41 Likes

I have to wonder how bad his chances had to look for HRH to abandon him to the wolves like this.
oops, I meant mummy Elizabeth.

8 Likes

Which HRH?

If you mean the Queen, it’s Her Majesty.

4 Likes

“The Duke of York”? Just like that, with nothing in front of it? Did I miss anything or is that a pretty big deal in a palace announcement?

3 Likes

Yes, being stripped of the HRH is a big deal.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were asked to stop using their His and Her Royal Highness titles when they stopped being working members of the royal family in February 2020. After his disastrous Newsnight interview, a few months before, Andrew had also stepped back from royal duties. However, he could keep his HRH status despite calls for him to lose it.

Nigel Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew: Epstein, Maxwell and the Palace, has speculated that he could be told to drop the title in the wake of the lawsuit. “There are too many legal questions surrounding the prince and it is increasingly doubtful that he can hold on to his HRH status,” he told Newsweek.

11 Likes

Seems like one of those instances where the terser it reads, the worse it actually is.

26 Likes

He’s royaly f@cked.

24 Likes

The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen.

A private citizen with a six-figure allowance from his mommy. Let’s see that taken away from him next, shall we?

21 Likes

Thanks, I had missed that.

2 Likes

He’s liquidating a big asset.

9 Likes

I take it as the queen saying “Prince Andrew (maybe) did a bad thing, and he is put in time out. If he did a bad thing, he did it as a private citizen, and We knew nothing of it.”

Which makes me hope that Virginia Giuffre can also go after the Royals because they have tried to bury this for so long.

7 Likes

in other words, they severed his ties so nobody could get their hands on the royal’s money.

11 Likes

A number of institutions in the united kingdom have royal patrons, or honorary heads. They don’t have any real administrative power.

For instance, no one believes that the Princess Royal of the Prince of Wales really run these universities, despite being called Chancelor. It’s understood that the Vice Chancellor holds the real power-- and the real burden of administration.

An old wikipedia article mentions that Prince Andrew was the colonel-in-chief of the Staffs Regiment, The Royal New Zealand Army Logistic Regiment, The Royal Irish Regiment, and The Queen’s York Rangers. He longer is. Presumably he was also the honorary head (royal patron) of some charities.

5 Likes

I bet Johnson doesn’t mind all this right now.

5 Likes

I guess we can hope 6.6 mil won’t go as far as he’d like in current day England.

3 Likes

If you’re Canadian that headline needs a double take.

13 Likes