History of the Hoodie

[Read the post]

1 Like

I prefer the Saskatchewanian term for this item of clothing: Bunny Hug.

1 Like

Well - back in the day, yeah, that was mainly where I saw and used them. They are way more popular for casual hanging out in now.

Gibson’s Bigend trilogy educated me quite a bit about military garb’s influence on “street fashion,” which is quite interesting as well.

This Day in Fashion History –

WaPo’s publication of an 8-page manifesto reminds America that hoodies aren’t just sportswear…they’re a statement!

2 Likes

I’m so old I still refer to them as “hooded sweatshirts”. The term “hoodie” seems too flashy to me.

:wink:

Well, I think I’m going to be using that term a bit this year. Any origin/explanation for it that I can provide when I get confused looks?

2 Likes

Wish I knew, but that’s definitely what people from Saskatchewan call 'em (must be the pullover kind though, no zippers).

In fashion-speak, isn’t sportswear just about anything an ordinary person wears? Polo shirts, certainly, but if I understand right, also any men’s wear less formal than business suits. A sport coat is something you wear with a tie and slacks made out of a different fabric. It includes what most people now would think of as business casual. Women’s sportswear is the same.

I don’t think that “streetwear” has quite as established a meaning, but I don’t think it matches up at all with what people mean when they say something’s “very street.” I think, for instance, that almost any women’s shoes without heels, barring maybe ballet flats, are “streetwear.”

Specialized vocabularies can can cause confusion. I think there’s a bit of that going on here.

ETA: I’ve heard hoodies called “street fashion.” That does carry a bit of the modern meaning of “street.” I think the usage is very different than “streetwear” though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.