The hoodie is 3,000 years old

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/07/the-hoodie-is-3000-years-old.html

2 Likes

All due respect to @Papasan, but I’m wearing my hoodie right now!

10 Likes

Me too; just look at it!

8 Likes

that’s quite a broad definition of what constitutes a “hoodie” – i mean, ANYTHING with a hood? ponchos, monk’s robes, zippered jackets… as long as it has a hood, it’s a hoodie? :thinking:

8 Likes

I remember the term ‘hoodie’ coming to my neck of Canada and protesting fiercely as my friends picked it up. For some reason it always struck my as a silly thing to call a sweatshirt. Like a resto boss making us call ‘ramikins’ ‘biullets’ in the kitchen, to sound more USAish.

2 Likes

Does that mean they were thugs?

Wrong question. The question is “did the Thuggees wear hoodies?”

3 Likes

I was wearing mine at the gym this morning, bit chilly here in San Diego.

1 Like

I’m wearing one right now! Mine isn’t 3,000 years old, though.

ETA: :thinking: Hmm…it’s made of polyester…so…does that make it a bunch of million years old?

1 Like

Not my field, but aren’t those roman examples a type of prayer veils? They’d cover their heads during religious ceremonies; including them in portraits is a way of emphasising the piety of the subject?

Yes, hoodies started a long time ago.
And far, far away as well, apparently.

Like a year or so ago I remember seeing a guy wearing that same hoodie vaping as he walked out of a Big Lots

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.