Hitler reacts to The New Yorker's report that his infamous bunker rant never happened

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/hitler-reacts-to-the-new-yorkers-report-that-his-infamous-bunker-rant-never-happened.html

8 Likes

I read the entire article. Given Trump’s (and the GOP’s) actions and obvious trajectory, I can only suppose that Ross missed what I personally believe to be the main reason for comparing Trump to Hitler: Stop Trump before he can becomes another Hitler.

6 Likes

Stop him before he commits suicide in a bunker?

5 Likes

Given the infamous “open letter”, the last line was <chef’s kiss>.

5 Likes

I went on a mental tangent and wondered what a video like this with Trump would be like. My guess it would be a dud.

One can believe Hitler would have a coherent rant. A Trump rant wouldn’t be coherent enough to be funny. If it’s a rant in his style, he doesn’t have enough range to cover anything new (we’ve been hearing the same rant for 5 years). If it was new or a coherent rant, well, that wouldn’t be Trump, would it?

Sorry for the interruption. Back to your regularly schedule show.

12 Likes

He did a few things before that, tho…

3 Likes

Ian Kershaw’s two part biography and his book about the final days of the Third Reich are incredibly good, couldn’t recommend them more. It’s impossible for us to get our heads around the scope of the destruction and madness in the battle of Berlin, because nothing in the last hundred years has even approached its scale (both in the horror it culminated and the literal scope), but Kershaw does an amazing job of conveying it as well as anyone possibly could, I think.

6 Likes

I came here to post that someone with more talent than me should deepfake a “Trump Reacts” video.

Trump over Hitler, various toadies and family members over the others, etc.

2 Likes

Does this mean the ending of Inglorious Basterds will become the new canon ?

3 Likes

For many years I have considered “Spaceballs the Video Cassette” to be the definitive comment on the nature of narrative. This, however, is the most brutally strong, wickedly beautiful contender I have subsequently seen.

My hat is off to you, sir — you are a certified fucking genius.

2 Likes

wow, now THIS is how a meme comes full circle.

7 Likes

So wonderfully meta

3 Likes

To me as a german native speaker these parodies absolutely don´t work for me. I guess they are funny to somebody who doesn´t speak a lick of German. Downfall is still an incredible movie and all actors, not only but especially Bruno Ganz, gave and outstanding performance

4 Likes

The most difficult thing about trying to emulate “Trump-speak” is avoiding the formation of complete sentences.

3 Likes

Heh. Heh. Mega meta.

After Hitler’s death, the Russians released few details. British historian (and MI6 agent) Hugh Trevor-Roper visited Germany shortly after the war and attempted to find out what had happened. He wrote a book, The Last Days of Hitler, which became the standard account. No guarantee it is completely accurate, though, especially since the protagonists were dead.

2 Likes

It may never have happened, but the existence and popularity of the scene obviously led a certain person to mistake it for a method of governing. Issue impossible commands, then call all your advisers in for a verbal abuse and blamestorming session when things don’t work out.

In related news, Bill Barr: Exit stage left, don’t let the door hit ya…

2 Likes

Nice. I always think ‘Top Secret’ when this meme comes up:

‘Let me know eef his condition changes.”
** hangs up gigantic phone **
“Hees deadt.”

2 Likes

Given the current climate and the current vernacular I suspect this edit was negotiated with ‘an abundance of captions’!! :grin:

Some of your greatest work, here

1 Like