Ho ho no: risk of suffering a heart attack is 40% higher on Christmas Eve

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/ho-ho-no-risk-of-suffering-a.html

2 Likes

Given the late day timing, I suspect that it is possibly the sudden relief from all of that stress, “Ah, it’s 10pm, everyone’s fed, all the kids are satisfied with their presents, none of the relatives punched each other, good job me!” (gurk!)

I know that very often when I am finally released from grinding, accumulating, months-long stress I almost always immediately become sick with whatever bug I’d previously been managing to avoid as my jittery, amped-up immune system finally has a quiet glass of scotch and goes to sleep.

11 Likes

I believe it. My uncle died of a heart attack at christmas eve mass a few years back.

7 Likes

The most wonderful time of the year indeed.

This is why I’ve always been more of a “Halloween” fan. (The holiday, not the movie franchise.)

5 Likes

I would have thought Thanksgiving would beat Christmas, given all the family drama and rage that seems to occur in combination with the over-eating and over-drinking.

4 Likes

like I could get that lucky.

3 Likes

It’s the religion isn’t it?

2 Likes

Except you don’t have to endure two months of Thanksgiving music first.

8 Likes

Maybe Jesus is just inviting them to the big table on his birthday?

(said as someone who is almost certainly going to die of a heart attack before much longer)

6 Likes

That timing is right on for high cholesterol/glucose-insulin imbalances and peak alcohol absorption after an evening of over-eating and drinking. General stress might be a secondary factor, but binge eating unhealthy foods and drinking are likely the primary culprits.

5 Likes

Christmas combines basically all the most stressful bits of every other holiday into one:

• The overeating, drinking and family drama of Thanksgiving
  • The over-excited, sugared up children of Halloween
  • The pressure Valentine’s Day creates to find a gift expressing devotion to your loved ones (multiplied by every member of your family)
  • The religious guilt/obligations of Easter
  • The tree-worship of Arbor day
  • The existential horror of being trapped in a shopping mall that comes with whatever day Dawn of the Dead took place on
10 Likes

F***in’ Arbor Day

3 Likes

6 Likes

Every year, it’s “time to make a sacrifice to the Old Gods lest they curse the land with eternal winter!” Totally just a scam made up by Hallmark to sell oath stones and blootletting knives.

5 Likes

Wait, is that an Angry Orchard label?

1 Like

I thought the article was going to say the heart attacks were caused by post-wrapping adult activities (doing it…)

Hmm, can Facebook dial 911?

Book1) tip: “Christmas Not Just Once a Year” (“Nicht nur zur Weihnachtszeit”) by Heinrich Böll

https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/news-wires-white-papers-and-books/christmas-not-just-once-year

1) Yes, this one is a short story. “Book tip” just has a better ring to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.