HOAX Olive Garden "response" to satirical tweet congratulating Olive Garden for no longer selling AR-15s was itself satirical (updated)

Pony Express or GTFO.

@Shuck I was surprised to see that Kroger will no longer sell assault rifles. Who knew that was a thing?

Policy Update: Firearm Sales pic.twitter.com/v7qwaMgcQJ

— Kroger News (@KrogerNews) March 1, 2018
5 Likes

Is this the thread where people come in to let everyone know they think the Olive Garden food sucks and they never eat there anyway.

4 Likes

Is it legit these days to send a C&D by tweet? Do they have certified tweets?

4 Likes

There was a startling headline this week about how Krogers, a grocery store chain, would now stop selling some kinds of guns to some kinds of people, but turns out that was rly about a subsidiary general-merchandise chain they own:

Though, the American entrepreneurial spirit being what it is, it stands to (un)reason there must be a business somewhere that offers a dining experience combined with weapons for sale.

Heck, even the police sell assault weapons:

7 Likes

Did they twitpic the Artificial Radish formula 13 they no longer serve? No.
Needs to comply with Unofficial Twitter Bluebook only I publish.

2 Likes

anyone who heard of LL Bean when they had one store? all the hunting superstores built in the last 30 years designers went to freeport and ctrl-c ctrl-v, and then added the violent subculture memes to their stores, that Beans lacks.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was better when they didn’t cook with chemical reactions.

2 Likes

I’m not getting this… what does Olive Garden have to do with selling or giving away guns? I have googled this and I can only find articles regarding the Twitterbate on this blog. The only other article is a Snopes.com regarding Olive Garden kicking out an armed, uniformed police officer. Even Snopes does not state if it was true or not. Olive Garden is an awful establishment if only for their food, but I suppose any random corporation can be a target for social media rightly deserved or not. Can someone explain this please?

The “Seinfeld2000” twitter account made a joke about Olive Garden following the lead of other companies cutting back their gun sales. The joke being that of course Olive Garden never sold guns. Then, someone sent S2000 an equally-satirical, obviously fake, message claiming to be from OG’s lawyers. Everyone took it seriously, and things snowballed from there. OG’s official Twitter account has replied repeatedly that they did not authorize the message.

3 Likes

I thought that Paul Verhoeven movies were satire, not reportage.

1 Like

I had to look up what Krogers was, then I was surprised. Apparently they merged with a sporting goods chain a while back, and that’s where the ban is happening (and only in Alaska, because that was the only state remaining where they did those sales).

I’m only aware of them as a clothing retailer, myself.

1 Like

Down with the Maillard reaction!!!

1 Like

theiyre not quite the same company they were before the massive retail rollout, but ive had their boots and flannels for my entire life. the Freeport store was the one place in the 80s you could see guns and clothes sold side by side, like they had to Maine’rs for 100 years.

1 Like

HOAX

Wait… is this a real hoax, or a hoax hoax?

2 Likes

Okay, well thanks for clearing that up for me. Sometimes I need extra help.

2 Likes

I wanted to make it clear to anyone reading this that it has been illegal to sell guns via mail order in the US for 50 years. There have been no legitimate mail-order catalogs for firearm end-users in the US in that time, not from LL Bean or anyone else.

Genuine dealer to dealer sales are permitted if they both have Federal Firearms Licenses. Those credentials take some time and effort to obtain and their use is closely monitored by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Sometimes local outdoors and sporting goods-type stores will send out flyers with guns that they are offering for sale, but those have to be physically purchased and picked up at a store that has a Federal Firearms License, after they run a background check on the would-be buyer.

2 Likes

sure, but anyone who has read their catalogs knows they sell guns.

did someone say mail order guns other than you?

and they still do. they still have a whole building devoted to hunting rifles and fishing poles.

I received the LL Bean catalog for years and they never listed guns in them. Based solely on the content of those catalogs - which is the claim made by @Bozobub and now you, how on earth would someone know that the company happened to sell long guns at just one of their brick and mortar stores?

We ALL know it now because it’s been in the news just recently, but you’d never know it based on their catalogs - which was my point. Why would they advertise to someone on the other side of the country that if they flew or drove to Bean’s flagship store in Freeport, Maine they could buy the same shotgun that the catalog recipient could buy locally at their hometown Sears or outdoor or sporting goods store?

Neither of you are making any sense to me, and based on what you’ve written I doubt that either of you were on their mailing list to receive their mail order catalogs.

Here is a PDF scan of one of their catalogs from 1964, back when it was legal to sell guns by mail - with no mention of guns:

Here is one from the era when I began getting their catalogs, 1983 - again, no mention of guns:

Here’s a really cool one from 1933, with no mention at all of guns:

If their most recent paper catalogs do advertise the fact that they have firearms for sale at their flagship store it would surprise me, but if you have scans of them saying so I would be happy to be corrected. I don’t get the paper catalogs anymore because I shop on their website these days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.