Home Depot teaches millennials to use tape measures

Drugs is the only place where Australians still use imperial measurements.

It’s bloody annoying; I can never remember what a quarter-ounce equals in grams.

It’s not about it being difficult. It’s about opportunity.

here.

2 Likes

It’s not about people anymore, it’s about the phone.

The quality of alignment is definitely a fair issue. For my (admittedly lightweight) purposes, I’ve generally found that the laser is straighter than my attempt to keep a tape under tension, though less useful than a ruler or square for close work; and definitely not as reliable as a physics-experiment-land bean source, because a cheap diode laser and accompanying optics are far from ideal.

In your experience, are there any actually-good ones available for intermediate prices; or does it basically go from ‘novelty trash’ to ‘surveying gear of alarming price’ without much in between?

My employer goes through a lot of temp workers for the manufacturing plant floor. Part of orientation specifically focuses on how to use a tape measure and requires getting checked off on it because there are a lot of people who struggle to do this or do basic math (addition and subtraction) without a calculator.

That said it’s not just millenials, and isn’t so much a generational thing as much as just what people have encountered in life.

1 Like

Fixed that for you

1 Like

Well, that hinges a bit on the definition of intermediate prices.
There is quite a lot of stuff that I’d call “craftsman grade”, that usually does the trick. There is no point in buying kit meant for geodesy unless you are a surveyor. And the novelty stuff is just that; you have no way of knowing how precise they were made or if they were calibrated at all (probably not).
Leica Geosystems have a good line of affordable “laser tapes”, the Disto series. Robust and they last decades.
Bosch and DeWalt also have good lines of products in that respect.
It’s really like with any other tool. It must be fit for purpose. If you’ll only need it once, get something cheap. If you’ll need it frequently, get something decent. If you need it to earn your living, get the best you can afford (and upgrade if advisable)

I never had the choice of these kinds of electives because i grew up and did most of my schooling in Venezuela. There were no such things as electives, and those that had the foresight to see that they did not want to go to college could just go to a technical or vocational school instead of the usual high school. Which is neat but again at that age i had no idea what i wanted to do after high school, so making that choice even sooner seems daunting. I like that in the US those electives exist.

I did my last year of high school here in the US and i did wood shop and i really really enjoyed it. Sadly it was just a single year and i wish i could have had more time to really pick it up. I kind of would like to take some wood shop classes as an adult, i looked into makerspaces here but seems like the better spaces here are only accessible to college students. The other spaces are too far from me :[

it’s not so much that you fixed it as expanded on it. i was only going to speak about things i knew personally :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.