Homemade kludges and other bodged up tools

Continuing the discussion from Woodworking machines and other nice things:

2 Likes

No response? Is everyone too embarrassed to show their crappy jury rigs? Well, I’m beyond shame. I’ll start.

This is a bit of astronomical gear thrown together when I realized at the last minute that the 2012 transit of Venus was the last one I would ever see.

The binoculars (with one lens covered) project an image of the sun onto the white paper. The result looked like this - the little black dot on the solar disc is Venus.

10 Likes

Built this for the last solar eclipse.

Attach a piece of paper and line up with binoculars and the sun.

6 Likes

Plumb bob

3 Likes

My worst (best?) kludge is at work. Protecting me from hitting the Esc key accidentally on windows who like to die on thin provocation. I’m more of a software gal anyway.

5 Likes

Who else uses a finishing nail with the head cut off as a drill bit? This is useful when drilling at awkward angles where a slight misalignment can break a small bit.

This was my standard kludge when doing projects with children that involved drilling pilot holes, because few eight-year-olds can use a 1/16" bit without snapping it.

eta: No, smartasses, I wasn’t drilling pilot holes in children. What do you take me for?

10 Likes

Me! But I don’t bother to cut the head off, my drill chuck has a void behind the fingers that’s big enough to house the head on a finishing nail.

I also cut plastic with a random piece of flat metal stuck in a sabre saw. The heat generated by rubbing on the plastic just melts its way through.

And I cut large diameter PVC plumbing (like, 3" and 4" DWV for toilets &etc.) on a table saw and polish the cuts with a bench belt, because I am too cheap to buy yet another pipe cutter (I already have three, none of which will do the big PVC).

Over in my electric motor rebuild thread I just bodged up a drift in order to avoid buying an inside bearing puller…

2 Likes

There is another way? Well, usually I use my power miter saw, but the table saw does in a pinch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 191 days. New replies are no longer allowed.