Hong Kong protesters' little stonehenges impede police cars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/15/trilithons.html

3 Likes

And now I have a new vocabulary word - trilithon. And yay for DIY resistance!

17 Likes

Obligatory:

29 Likes

Dialing the protests up to 11.

24 Likes

I heard Spinal Tap was big in Japan, but I never knew they had fans in China before.

11 Likes

Small Wall of China

17 Likes

So that explains Stonehenge… it was built by ancient Britons to foil mobile cities (cf Mortal Engines)

9 Likes
6 Likes

Thinking about making a few dummy accounts so I can upvote this more.

2 Likes

what does the structure do ? just look visually more impeding than strewn about bricks or does it make a brick more likely puncture a tire by wedging itself in at an angle as it falls?

5 Likes
4 Likes

3 line of defense.
-> The stonehenges
->The metal barrier and
->the water tank plastic one’s.
There are plenty of great pictures for HK protest there https://www.flickr.com/photos/studiokanu/
Most of theme are usage free. Please spread to let the world know what is happening here.
(Would have been just great if no one was killed by the police and hired thugs though.)

9 Likes

I like that the conversation is going a lot of different directions, as it always does, but let’s not lose track of the fact that we’re here to talk about Cory’s post about Ryan Ho Kilpatrick’s post, whose point is that THEY AREN’T FUCKING STONEHENGES. They’re trilithons, the three-stone structures that Stonehenge is made of.

2 Likes

So, the only purpose of Cory’s post is to introduce a new vocabulary word?

What should the follow up comments be? Examples of the word in a sentence?

3 Likes

Stonehenges is catchier and will stick, don’t be pedantic.

6 Likes

No need to be unhenged.

12 Likes

As various etymologies for ‘stonehenge’ include ‘hanging stone’, ‘hinged stone’ or ‘stone gallows’, it seems just as appropriate to use the word ‘stonehenge’ to describe these groups of stones in Hong Kong as it does to describe the monument in Wiltshire.

Given time, perhaps they’ll level-up into inukshuks?

9 Likes

Ok, 'Henger.

4 Likes

It’s like, how much more fed up with totalitarianism could it be?
And the answer is none…none more fed up.

4 Likes