Hong Kong's #612strike uprising is alive to surveillance threats, but its countermeasures are woefully inadequate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/14/use-burners-folks.html

1 Like

Organized protest was doomed as soon as the public agreed to carry tracking devices in exchange for easy mobile entertainment.

2 Likes

I feel this too.

In some ways, this kind of rebellion will never be safe. I doubt anyone on the street thinks they are safe. But they know they’ll be even less safe if their rights are further eroded. This is why young people are our hope for the future: this potent combination of “don’t know” and “don’t care” when confronted with the absurd power of huge institutions is exactly what allows them to rebel with such force and bravery.

So yeah, I hope they use burners, but I don’t think they’re doomed without them. Cell-site simulators are hardly the biggest obstacle they’re up against, and they’ve already overcome far more daunting resistance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.