Hong Kong's General Strike on Monday will include workers from Hong Kong Disneyland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/03/12h-whale-fountain.html

4 Likes

Will Winnie the Pooh be on strike?

7 Likes

Oddly enough, there is a Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride at Shanghai Disney, so maybe that whole brouhaha has died down.

7 Likes

With every new story on the actions of these brave and resourceful protestors in HK, I’m filled with a mix of hope and dread.

9 Likes

You’re not wrong to feel dread.

8 Likes

I’m on strike right now.

2 Likes

With all that facial recognition stuff there’ll be no need to shout out our names.

7 Likes

Hopefully it won’t come to it, but given the CPC’s previous experience

7 Likes

It’s the context.

1 Like

Fortunately for China they have an ally in Google, which will help China do their best to keep as much of this hidden as possible from people in China.

2 Likes

I wonder who the Disney Co. will side with.

1 Like

What, no footage from Tiananmen Square in June 1989?

1 Like

That’s been censored to the Ten Thousand Hells and gone. Plenty of younger Chinese folk on the mainland have no idea that anything of any interest ever happened there.

1 Like

Everyone needs to reach out through their own non-social-media networks and find ways to support the general strike. This could wind up being the biggest blow to China’s totalitarianism in living memory.
Please find ways to both donate resources in support of the protestors, and boost whatever signals they manage to send out past the censorship.

2 Likes

Google is blocked in mainland China, as are Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Chinese search engines like Baidu censor whatever the government tells them to censor.

If you’re thinking of Dragonfly, that was Google’s attempt to get back into the Chinese market.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.