As police scrutiny tightens, Hong Kongers use Tinder and Pokemon Go to organize protests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/09/gotta-smash-em-all.html

5 Likes

With every passing day I feel more and more like I’m living in a William Gibson novel.

I don’t know whether to be terrified or ecstatic…

6 Likes

Cory’s wording is slightly off - they’re not sending messages in PoGo, this is a feature we’ve wanted since before friendship!

They’re using PoGo as a cover - “no officer, I’m not on my way to an illegal protest, I’m off to play Pokemon”. Posters for “let’s all meet here and play Pokemon” are staying up longer than posters for “let’s all meet here for an illegal protest”.

Though the airdrop stuff is cool. I feel I’m overdue a re-read of some of Cory’s novels - someone comes to town has mesh networks, and W1nst0n might have done some network chatter off the internet.

7 Likes

As much as he tries, Bill can’t escape the future. No matter how outlandish his ideas, somebody will come along and implement them.

4 Likes

Berkanan for IOS.
https://berkanan.chat/
Anyone know of a cross-platform one?

That’s what I was wondering before hand - given how allergic Nintendo and The Pokémon Company are to messaging in general, I was trying to figure out how they were passing information between users.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but something feels ominous about “you can’t silence us without blocking the entire internet!”

1 Like

They should switch to Ingress then, which does have messaging. (Perhaps it’s geo-blocked in the store for that reason?)

eta: I checked the map. The game seems active there.

“Now if we can only get people to Pokemon G’overthrow the government”

In theory you can rename the pokemon you are walking and your friends can see it’s name. The character limit is a bit restrictive for any real message in English without a prearranged code, but there is probably enough room for a short phrase in Chinese.

1 Like

The Ingress intel map for Hong Kong. One reference to tear-gas, but it doesn’t seem active. (Unless they’re using the other game faction.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.