Horrifying cartoon in Murdoch press

Cartoon in Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper The Australian

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/johannes-leak-cartoons/image-gallery/2403b703a84c4deb3bbc4247796b447f

7 Likes

Fucking right wingers and their fucking propaganda - That doesn’t even make sense!

18 Likes

Cops are brown skinned?

I confused.

5 Likes

“Brown people are the REAL threat.” That’s it.

Sadly there is a deep undercurrent of racism in Australian society that is painfully similar to that of the United States.

19 Likes

If you are pandering to an audience that thinks extrajudicial street executions are “law and order” despite being notably deficient in either I suspect that conceptual coherence isn’t really your problem.

7 Likes

It’s a little tricky to quantify for handy comparison; but by imprisonment statistics Australia makes a case for being worse.. Drawing 30% of your inmates from the 3% of the population who are indigenous takes real dedication.

13 Likes

In every possible way: Given his well-demonstrated attitude toward liberalism and the toxic programming he controls, you’d think he actually despised the US and wants to bring it down.

6 Likes

Well, insofar as Murdoch’s manifest goal is to replace liberal democracy (in the classical sense, not the modern neo-liberal partisan sense) with explicitly theocratic white supremacist oligarchy, yes, he and his media empire are a cancer metastasizing through the entire anglophone world.

10 Likes

The Right Can’t Meme.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Canada: Hold my beer eh?

10 Likes

It’s just all projection all the time now. There’s nothing else left.

8 Likes

A distressed Lady Liberty? Spooner has apparently decided to steal the trademark motif of the inimitable Stan Kelly.

5 Likes

It was another Australian Murdoch paper, the Herald Sun, that published that cartoon of Serena Williams a couple of years back.

(It was the subject of a complaint to the Australian Press Council. Verdict: “Not racist”.)

1 Like

Completely misrepresents what the protests are about.

Some simple questions:

Should anyone, black or white, be killed by a police officer, particularly when the person is begging for their life?

Should local police forces be given military hardware when the crime rate has been dropping for two decades?

Is there a problem with race in America or not?

1 Like

If you haven’t yet had a chance to read the Onion’s Our Dumb Century (a collection of front-page stories spanning the 20th Century) one of the running gags is that every single editorial cartoon features a distressed Lady Liberty, such as in the panel below from “1981.” They transferred that gag to the Stan Kelly feature when his cartoon was added as a regular feature on their web site in 2006.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 4.55.16 PM

3 Likes

TIL! I love it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.