Man tells Australian Prime Minister to get off his lawn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/04/man-tells-australian-prime-min.html

6 Likes

HEY, MISTA PRIME MINISTAH! ANDY!!!

14 Likes

Is thumbs up in Australia a “ok dude all good, right on” kind of gesture or “hey you, up yours buddy” kind of gesture? I know it varies.

4 Likes

Seems it’s a positive gesture, not a negative one in .au.

6 Likes

Then the press were hustled away and the homeowner was hit with six tasers and four rubber bullets and the police armoured car drove over his lawn.

Oh, wait. Australia. Never mind.

20 Likes

Now that I’ve watched it that makes sense.

Things like this make me wish I was Australian.

3 Likes

If this was Trump who was told to get off somebody’s lawn; he would say this isn’t a lawn, pull down his pants, take a dump on the lawn, say “all I saw a big toilet”, call the incident fake news, say he did not defecate in public and Fox News commentators would praise him for three nights straight for standing up to the mainstream media over the public shitting.

11 Likes

The First Dog on the Moon editorial cartoons at the Guardian UK are a great way to learn what’s going on Down Under. They’re often funny AF, and frequently V thought-provoking, sometimes both.

9 Likes

Thumbs down for posting a comment before bothering to watch a 26 second clip. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thumbs down, like, “boo your the worst” or thumbs down like…something’s else??

1 Like

It depends what country you’re in. But you’re miles from the worst.

2 Likes

Things like this make me proud to be Australian.

The casual racism, climate change-denial of this government and an aboriginal population wildly-over represented in prison (and deaths in custody) not so much.

But faced with the alternative, yeah, feeling very lucky right now.

17 Likes

I hate to be the token contrarian Kiwi (nah I love it) but it could be argued that our trans-tasman friends care a little too much about their front lawns!

(Speaking after a few years in Freo where the flyin flyout crews obsess over their reticulated lawn watering systems in the middle of a parched desert.)

4 Likes

Can confirm, although the obsession is dying out, albeit much more slowly in the west.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s us. Our Prime Ministah occasionally imprisons asylum seekers without trial and now-and-then stomps on someone else’ lawn. Let’s call it a mixed bag.

3 Likes

To be fair, many Kiwis in Canterbury and Auckland love to keep their grass berms green through summer too.

Fortunately Melbourne taught me to replace any grassed area with vegetables instead! (Backyard cricket pitches are still to be encouraged of course.)

2 Likes

Our obsession is tomatoes. Best not to get me started.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thank god that common sense prevailed and the ban was lifted 30min before the start.

Having said that black deaths in custody is a national shame and the mining company Rio Tinto just blew up an aboriginal site with 46,000 year old artifacts so it’s hard not to live under a cloud of shame and frustration in this country. But Hey, the rest of the world… “put another shrimp on the barbie”…

2 Likes