Man tells Australian Prime Minister to get off his lawn

I’m in rural Tassie these days.

Compared to Sydney, the racism is less visible here, primarily because there are almost no nonwhite people around. But the second you dig under the surface…yikes.

The folks here are very neighbourly if they accept you, but they tend to be somewhat xenophobic even towards white Australian mainlanders. For a nonwhite immigrant, it’d be a nightmare.

I’m extremely aware that I’m living on the site of what was probably the world’s most complete genocide. It’s a beautiful but haunted place.

3 Likes

I am blessed to have found a life in the rural town of Hepburn and Daylesford. Yes it is a tourist town and has s pretty dark history when it comes to our aboriginal brothers and sisters as well as our Chinese brothers and sisters but I have been lucky enough to be in a place that embraces tolerance and diversity.

Yes it is not hard to find racism in our country but I hope that you have the opportunity to find something other in your community. Always hope.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s a fucking heart-breaking country.
The history is heart-breaking.
The present is heart-beaking.

Privileged white guy problems but…an innocent part of me died after years of repeatedly experiencing that sudden loss of respect for friends/co-workers that comes whenever time or carelessness eventually exposed their prejudice. I made and lost a lot of “friends”.

The indoctrination can be strong too. I’ve seen places in oz (W/N) turn seemingly intelligent and empathetic friends/family into racist bigots within ten years.

Heart-breaking.

3 Likes
2 Likes

If someone is stepping on your freshly seeded lawn and you want them to move is it acceptable to tell them to sod off?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.