Horse loses jockey at starting gate but runs entire race anyway — and wins

Originally published at: Horse loses jockey at starting gate but runs entire race anyway — and wins | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I don’t do horses but grew up putting bets on for my dad (the good ol days when an 8yr old could stand outside a bookies and badger guys to put bets on for ‘their dad’), and I remember that happening quite a lot, and presumably cos the horse is good bit lighter (even accounting for tiny jockeys).

7 Likes

I guess the owner paid for the Autopilot upgrade. He knew exactly where to go when the race was over.

10 Likes

Thats FSD (Full Stud Driving ) you’re thinking of, it’s that kind of mixup that gives self driving horses a bad name.

6 Likes

Tired: Jockeys on horses

Wired: Chipped race horses.

8 Likes

Camel racing includes the increasing likelihood of robot jockeys. Generally viewed as having its origins in being more humane than using children as camel jockeys. Occasionally wondered if that might be used to benefit …somehow? in horse races. (“might allow “AI” to intrude there too … SeaBiscuitGPT”)

5 Likes

They manage to have dog races without any jockeys at all. Maybe someone just needs to rig a carrot on a string to convince the horsies to run without being kicked.

8 Likes

And that’s Vanyar in first, Noldor in second, and Falmari in third. Sorry to anyone who bet on Nandor or Sindar to show.

Thank you everyone for keeping me around anyway, I really appreciate it.

5 Likes

If a jockey ever manages to win first place without a horse I think they should let him have it.

27 Likes

:notes: Ain’t nothin’ gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Ain’t nothin’ gonna break my stride
I’m running and I won’t touch ground
Oh no, I got to keep on moving

4 Likes

I don’t know much about horse racing but it looked like the jockey jumped off the horse. Was he just not sitting right or else what would cause that?

1 Like

I’m curious why the track-signage is in English.

1 Like

Advantage: He carried less weight
Disadvantage: He ran 3 and 4 horses wide most of the race, so he finished first despite taking a much longer path.

What a good boy, though! He knew the track, and even walked himself himself home after the race.
Extra oats for Vanyar!

11 Likes

I wonder if this horse’s lungs still bled (common occurrence I’ve heard for race horses. Yet another inhumane spectator sport.)

4 Likes

If the jockey is dead, they win.

1 Like

This is an advantage of horses over cars, they come with a built-in navigation system. You just point them in vaguely the right direction and they’ll do the rest, usually.
The downside is, if they don’t like you, they’ll navigate under low branches to knock you off. Also, your car’s navigation system doesn’t remember the time it got (eg) barked at by a dog on a particular road, and refuse to go down there in future.

4 Likes

Also, depends on the race.
In the traditional inter-district (“contrada”) “Palio di siena” a “scosso” horse can win the race (and did, in many occurrencies).

“Scosso” is the past participle of “scuotere” to shake.
As an adjective here, meaning “shaken off”.

The Palio race has been quite controversial for some time, due to its very violent tradition of flogging horses, and a high death rate. Not a supporter.

1 Like

Per the Chieftains, this can change your demeanor.

“I put me money on a horse today for with the race he’d run away
Or so a friend that’s in the know he told me,
Twenty lengths ahead at most, he proundly cantered pass the post
But, woe was me, he lost the bloomin’ jockey!”

Ah, childhood; when you have “ants in your pants” and love to run for the sheer thrill of it.

1 Like

I come from horse people (though not specifically racing, which is an inhumane sport that should be ended) and have been around racing people. It’s sort of a running joke-not-joke that the jockey is essentially ballast. The jockeys would of course argue vehemently that they are athletes and are crucial to the winning ride, but this… does not help their case.

6 Likes