Hospitals delay surgeries because omicron surge

6 Likes

Yep. The wife’s hospital has been working that way for over a week now, the beds have been converted over for COVID and the nurses have been reassigned.

The wife came home today and said they have 98 in the COVID ward today, down from 103 yesterday. “That’s good right?” said my kids. “No, it’s not” said the missus.

14 Likes

I posted this to pick up on another topics discussion where a doctor had recommended triage for admissions which would de-prioritize un-vaccinated people.

I have to wonder what the fallout of delayed surgeries. Hopefully that does not put others at greater risk.

1 Like

They shut down non-emergency surgeries in mid-December here. My mom’s got pushed back to at least March.

1 Like

A few hours later, the intensive care doctor calls.

She’s very unwell, he says before getting to the real point.

“I am asking you if we can make an early call to palliate and discharge her from ICU.”

“When?”

“Now.”

My disbelief must be open because it prompts the rueful explanation that a Covid patient needs an intensive care bed.

The pieces fall together instantly. With intensive care at capacity, I am being asked to move my patient to make room for another. “After all, your patient does have incurable cancer.”

My bile rises. And even as I know it’s a petty question, I can’t help asking: “Is the Covid patient vaccinated?”

“No,” he says wearily. “That’s why he is so sick.”