Hotel California's global reach

[Permalink]

Here is the best version of this song, with lyrics on screen.

3 Likes

Obligatory.

Would be an interesting competition to see which has been more viral, Hotel California or Lebowski.

7 Likes

Yep, years ago the Gipsy Kings returned me to my original love affair w/ Hotel California.

1 Like

yep. CCR>Eagles. I abide.

2 Likes

ā€¦and the baby Jesus weptā€¦

meanwhile in Russia:

Wouldnā€™t be complete without:

Check out from 1:20 to 1:30. I think heā€™s just doing a parody of a popular song.

1 Like

Does anyone know who those guys are? Iā€™m really curious about one of the instruments. The solo seems to be an electric liuqin, which Iā€™ve never heard of and would like to see more of.

The two mandolin-looking instruments look like their bodies are constructed much more like modern western style mandolin/bouzoukis than like traditional ruan.

1 Like

Oftentimes in public restrooms, I find myself singing ā€œDroppinā€™ a duece in the hotel californiaaaa!ā€ It usually catches on.

2 Likes

And here I thought it was just a reference to how long it takes to get a PhD from the New School of Social Research.

And this is interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xny0Uj4--tk

ā€œThey stab it with their steely knives, but they just canā€™t kill the #6 with humbau.ā€

1 Like

What will the ā€œwarm smell of colitasā€ earn you in China?

but Elvis is Everywhere!

3 Likes

Hotel Kalifornia: Basque version from the late 70ā€™s.

Some years ago I was in Bangkok; across the street from my hotel was a pool hall.

It was very bright, well-lit, incongruous and obviously new.

My travel partner and colleague would challenge me to a nightly game; before seeking outā€¦more adventurous entertainment as young men on holiday are wont to do. He would consistently win. This was amusing to the workers, but not to me. In fact I was so annoyed by that situation that I enticed fellow female patrons to join us in a doubles match, using the hilarity-inducing effects of the Princess Mononoke T-shirt I was wearing at the timeā€¦

That action was more successful than I anticipated; as one of those ladies is now my finacee.

But I digress, and this story has a pointā€¦honest. The neon pop-up pool hall favored itself an ā€œAmerican rock and rollā€ style of establishmentā€¦which I found endearing, if slightly naive. Everyone working there was really very sweetā€¦but there was a problem. It took me a while to figure out, while trying to make my shots and drinking beer listening to tracks from the Hot Rocks Rolling Stones compilation, ā€˜Sympathy for the Devil, Gimmie Shelter, Paint It Blackā€™ All the hits; all good. Until I kept hearing the same songs. Over and over. I walked up to the host and asked ā€˜soā€¦do you have any Pixies, maybe some Bad Religion?ā€™ haha?

Noā€¦The Rolling Stones was pretty much it. And that made me sad.

So I went to a big mall and found Tower Records to see what CDā€™s they hadā€¦and I chose a multi-disc Eagles compilation; I figured, first, they needed lots of songsā€¦The Eagles would be a more relaxed choice yet not so different from the Stones as to seem acceptable. Creedence or Led Zeppelin were in the running butā€¦I chose otherwise.

And it went OK. The employees were glad for the gift, but after listening to ā€˜Wasted Timeā€™ or ā€˜Seven Bridges Roadā€™ I didnā€™t get particularly positive feedback.

Until ā€˜Hotel Californiaā€™ā€¦oh yeah, everyone was all. about. that. It brightened the whole place up with singing, smiles and head nodding. And Iā€™m thinking ā€˜this dude is tripping and held captive in a brothel drug denā€¦why is everyone so happy; yeah, the slide guitar soloā€¦that must be it.ā€™

Thoseā€¦were good times.

2 Likes

Mother California?

And then, thereā€™s this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHxEO28s8Mg

1 Like