House passes Voting Rights Advancement Act to restore Voting Rights Act of 1965

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/06/house-passes-voting-rights-adv.html

11 Likes

My brain is slow this morning – doesn’t this just mean it’ll now go to the Senate, which will kill it? And even if the Senate miraculously passed it, then Trump would veto/kill it?

24 Likes

Too little, too late.

4 Likes

It’s a nice gesture, and we need to keep making the gesture, we need to keep forcing the GOP to go on record for what they really stand for.

but @milliefink has the right of it, this bill will never get a vote in the senate.

26 Likes

One small step forward; can’t give in to defeatism, still gotta keep taking each step.

38 Likes

Well, Moscow Mitch has been pretty clear that any attempt to make for fair and secure elections are a Democratic power grab, so yeah, nothing gonna happen.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article225225000.html

17 Likes

White supremacist Jim Crow racists gonna white supremacist Jim Crow racist.

11 Likes

“Taking” not “talking,” m’dear.

4 Likes

just reminds me i haven’t said Fuck You Mitch McConnell yet today.
so Fuck You Mitch McConnell!

13 Likes

Even if y’all are just being understandably realistic, its still disheartening and I can’t bring myself to ‘like’ any of your comments.

Except this one:

Thanks.

16 Likes

If they do then at least we’ll have them on record against the Voting Rights Act of 1965. We can’t let them off the hook.

15 Likes

I guess, but it’s not like there’s any shame in their game. They’re already on record for being against it when they recently rescinded it (or whatever the right legislative verb is there).

That said, I am of course all for the Dem-led House of Reps doing the right thing here, however Quixotically, as with impeachment. I just get sick of this extended moment we’re in, where such steps have so little real effect against the ever-bolder fascists/Republicans.

13 Likes

yes . . . and yes.

6 Likes

I mentioned on my Mastodon account this morning that Gandalf’s “every day was as long as a life-age of the Earth” line has been getting a lot more play in my head these past few years. This is a big part of why.

7 Likes

The Senate doesn’t even need to vote on it to kill it. Moscow Mitch is just letting bills sit forever without debate or vote.

7 Likes

If you are like me and wondering what the bill entails, per the article in the first tweet:

The Voting Rights Advancement Act would, among other things, update the formula used to determine which states must preclear their voter registration practices, require public notice for voting registration changes, and allow the attorney general to send federal observers anywhere in the U.S.

5 Likes

anybody expecting this to go through the Senate?

1 Like

I’m so glad this passed, but that pretty much every single GOP politician voted against it is really upsetting. I wish i could say more but i’d just end up pissing myself off thinking about these corrupt weasels

16 Likes

Yeah, this will never make it to the floor of the Senate.

1 Like

What happens to them all? Do they expire or just sit there waiting for a Democratic Senate?

3 Likes