House Republican leader defeated by Tea Party challenger

[Permalink]

I’m not fully conversant with the structural details of US government, but does this mean your country is even more broken? ‘Cos it was pretty fuckin’ broken before.

16 Likes

Doesn’t really change much, it’s just really shocking. Nobody was expecting him to lose.

1 Like

Yes, it does.

2 Likes

It means the House of Representatives probably becomes even a little more conservative, although you would likely be hard pressed to tell the difference. Maybe slightly more hostile to immigration reform. It’s also possible that Dave Brat will accidentally say something outrageous and hand the seat to Jack Trammell–this is always a danger with Tea Party candidates, but the district is heavily gerrymandered and that is unlikely to happen.

3 Likes

He who lives by the stupid bigoted idiots, dies by the stupid bigoted idiots.

11 Likes

It wasn’t that the Tea Party was spending money to eliminate Cantor - no he was the victim of an ultraconservative gerrymandered district that was supposed to give him life time job security. but instead it turned on him like Frankenstein’s monster.

This is less Tea Party and more neoconfederate.

Dave Brat teaches economics - how will he respond to his base’s demands that America default on the national debt and crash the world economy?

12 Likes

The Victor:

DR. DAVID A. BRAT
Department of Economics and Business
Director, BB&T Moral Foundations of Capitalism Program

Ph. D. (Economics) 1995, The American University , Washington, D.C.
M. Div. 1990, Princeton Theological Seminary , Princeton, New Jersey.
B.A. Business Administration, 1986, Hope College , Holland, Michigan.

http://faculty.rmc.edu/dbrat/

2 Likes

Ain’t no crazy like batshit crazy! Love that tea party! Keep primarying the “moderate” Republicans and watch them go down in flames in the General election.

Hell, Clint Eastwood could run an empty chair as a Democrat and have a decent chance of winning.

1 Like

Nah. From the sound of it, the incumbent ran a crappy campaign against a well-organized, well-funded, firey opponent. It won’t change much, it’ll just add a bit more crazy sound bite action to Fox News.

What’ll change is that the incumbent was well known and well connected. The new guy isn’t. Not good for the GOP.

POINT of reference:

That blurry pic of President Obama - THAT is what is called a “shit-eatin’ grin”.

This is one of the ways IT could start…

The Noxious Joke Party that everybody just laughs off until it doesn’t just dry up and blow away on its own, no, it has RALLIES and funding and budgets and goddamned committees and chairmen of its own by now. Screwheads with cash dump time and dollars into this shit.

It just snowballs and eventually they’re like twelve percent of the government somehow while nobody was even watching, it seems.

And then the Noxious Joke Party gets way less funny. People turn up missing every day or it turns out they were a secret Islamist or harboring immigrants illegally and everyone just freezes when someone questions in conversation whether that’s like, ALL RIGHT with everybody now. Rorshack’s Journal time.

It’s too late for regrets when everyone turns out to be a Noxi.

4 Likes

The thing is, all the national pundits really got it wrong. I live right next to this district, my parents live in his district, my roommate voted for Brat (because Cantor was too busy playing national politics to pay attention to his district) and a whole lot of the vote for Brat was just that - people sick of a Representative not representing them, not bringing home the bacon, and campaigning for President instead of taking care of the people who put him in power.

Cantor has not taken care of the people in his district, and hasn’t for a long, long time. It’s about time the bill came due - and other Representatives who prefer playing fucky-fucky in DC to taking care of their electorate should probably pay attention.

We are the kingslayers, one ballot at a time.

4 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me at the myopic views that tea partiers have about the candidates they support. Supposedly, they are for strictly limited government, balanced budgets, reduced spending, throwing orphans out on the street, yada-yada… yet even the most fiscal tightasses still expect their Congresscritter to open up the taxpayer checkbook for their district.

My Congressman (Lamborn - I didn’t vote for him but I’m just a blue pimple in a crimson red cesspool) is a tea party darling yet will be the first person in front of the cameras to protect spending on the 4 military bases and tens of thousands of government contractors that call this area home.

12 Likes

I’m still holding onto a shred of hope that the Tea Party might actually save this country.

I know, bear with me.

My hope is that the TP could manage to actually peel the lunatic fringe off of the Republican party into a separate group. If it worked, the Greens might do the same with the Democrats, and leave the Libertarians without the fringe right wing influence and able to be more centrist.

So instead of a far-right vs slightly-left-of-center two party system, we end up with a reasonably strong moderate left and moderate right, plus three smaller but still formidable parties occupying the far left, far right, and center.

And then we might actually have some real choice and a chance to institute instant runoff voting.

It probably won’t happen, but I can dream.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t mean anything’s broken. It’s sort of like an MP in the UK losing his seat because his district doesn’t like him, regardless of his importance to his national party, but it’s a primary election so he lost it to another politician from his own party. (The Tea Party isn’t an actual party - it’s a right-wing faction within the Republican party.)

The US House of Representatives (lower house in Congress) has 435 voting members from districts allocated geographically, with very roughly equal populations. Each party in Congress determines its political leaders through complicated infighting.

Cantor’s a fairly conservative Republican from a conservative district who just lost a primary election to an even more conservative newbie. (The district is conservative enough that the Democratic opponent is unlikely to win the general election in the fall, unless the new guy is crazy, which he doesn’t seem to be, so far.) Cantor’s young but has become very influential politically within the House Republicans, while the new guy will be have very little influence because he’s a new guy.

2 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the tea party the butter subset that caused the government shutdown last year?

3 Likes

Yeah, similar to this:

Except that, of course, Cantor was hardly a moderate.

1 Like

Not that heavily gerrymandered. After all, they generally don’t spend too many R voters on a safe seat when they’re drawing the map. Looking at recent presidential election numbers on the wikipootia, the seat has been safely R but R-partisanship hasn’t been more than 60/40 for national seats in the past few elections. According to the wikipedia page, the district only gave 53% to McCain and 57% to Romney.

So the combination of Brat being a loss leader in the national media and potentially giving away the actual seat makes this less entertaining and more significant. Although with the lege being taken over they might be able to do another redistricting. I don’t know the specifics.

2 Likes

It doesn’t precisely mean anything; this guy’s going to win (though will contribute far less to his district than Cantor, a member of House leadership), and Republicans are going to do well this year. But it’s not a great sign for the GOP, which in earlier primaries this year had shown signs of bucking the Tea Party influence and nominating relatively mainstream conservatives.

Cantor, the only non-Christian Republican in Congress, was just purged because he was perceived as being too moderate on immigration. Is this a party that’s ready to make outreach efforts to expand the base for a presidential election?

2 Likes