House Science Committee: a parliament of Creationists, Climate Deniers (and dunces)

Come on guys, cut 'em a break!

At a recent hearing, committee member Randy Weber (R–TX) implied that science couldn’t really make claims about things that happened tens of thousands or millions of years ago, because it couldn’t directly observe them.

That’s understandable, isn’t it? I mean, I feel the exact same way about the Bible. Surely he must too.

7 Likes

Meta-God, of course!

5 Likes

Well, to be fair, they ARE representing the interests of those who elected them.

By which I mean, of course, the corporations…

3 Likes

Most of the main stream protestants don’t have problem with evolution and and old earth etc either. Baptists are the largest faction that believe in a literal Genesis, supported by the various smaller evangelical factions.

But yeah, most people don’t believe in all of Genesis being literal. You can still have Original Sin and other important concepts with out a literal Adam and Eve.

I find it ironic and hypocritical when people insist on a literal Genesis, although there is evidence to the contrary, but take Christ’s own words on the concept of Transubstantiation and explain them away as non-literal. I present this fact to show people they are picking and choosing how they interpret the Bible, and choosing to do so against a mountain of evidence makes them fools.

ETA - also on the formation of life, I think it is entirely possible. It’s chemistry. Hydrocarbons want to form complex chains. There have been some promising experiments with life starting in ice. Building block of amino acids have been found in meteorites. Given BILLIONS of years and the natural tendencies of organic chemistry, I can see how basic life would eventually form. My money is on viruses helping out the process as well.

ETA II - so what is that big thing in the article picture labeled “Millions of Years”?

3 Likes

They might be worried about being unelectable in the primary if they get associated with “science” i.e. devil worship.

[quote=“Mister44, post:24, topic:27585”]
Baptists are the largest faction that believe in a literal Genesis,
[/quote]Even Baptists aren’t monolithic, in fact they’re a very diverse bunch. Sadly, the liberal ones let the crazies do all the talking.

2 Likes

Oh man. Religion Hunger Games could be the religion/sports crossover. I bet TLC would pick that up.

2 Likes

Our meta-human overlords decided to put it in as an easter egg in their version of the Oculus Rift.

Is it that they let the crazies do the talking, or do the crazies just get better press? Admittedly, even though I do know some very nice, reasonable Christians who don’t take most of the Bible literally and are more concerned about being charitable and kind than imposing their views on others the crazies seem to be the overwhelming majority.

That’s why we end up with creationists and climate deniers in Congress.

2 Likes

Yes.

Also, in popular fiction and Hollywood, there are only two denominations: frothing snake-handlers, and Roman Catholics. Lake Wobegon is a rare exception.

4 Likes

It is – I kid you not – a wrecking ball.

To be fair, it was constructed before Miley Cyrus’ most recent misadventure, but boy is it snicker-worthy anyway.

Why are Christians so very frightened of science?
You cannot tell me otherwise, because they absolutely refuse to have science taught during church services.
Why do these Christians constantly shy away from Teaching the Controversy?
Is it just natural Christian cowardice?

1 Like

[quote=“Mag_Pie, post:32, topic:27585”]
Why are Christians so very frightened of science?[/quote]
Not all Christians are. I’d go on to say that most Christians aren’t frightened by science. Unfortunately, it’s the highly-conservative, bible-as-literal-word-of-god crowd that generates so much bullshit. The Christians in my circle (including my wife. I’m not a Christian) are completely comfortable with science, including evolution. We discuss these things a lot and, to simplify how they rectify their faith with science, it can be put this way…The bible describes the what…the event. Science explains the how.

In their vision, rather than seeing science as being opposed to faith, they see science as constantly revealing the beauty and awesomeness of god’s handiwork. They love and encourage science. I’m completely cool with this.

You are painting with an over-broad brush. It’s really the lunatic fringe that are so vehemently anti-knowledge, but they are also the loudest and have the easiest time getting themselves in the media.

1 Like

It’s turtles all the way down, and gods all the way up.

3 Likes

I seem to recall that Orthodox Christians aren’t too concerned with original sin.

1. I’m pretty certain that was meant to be a joke;

2. The majority of U.S. citizens believe the Earth was created 6,000-8,000 years ago and evolution is “just a theory”, so unfortunately the lunatic fringe is a pretty sizable chunk of the voting population.

I can still remember the shock when someone I work with, who is a dyed-in-the-wool Irish Catholic, mentioned in passing that she believed the above two “facts”. Apparently Papal pronouncements don’t mean much anymore. Or the lunatic fringe is that good at twisting people’s perceptions.

2 Likes

Sometimes I feel that way about atheists, too.

I guess that’s why I find the obvious sanity of Richard Dawkins so refreshing.

iirc, the conservatives are more organized.

Perhaps the EU will eventually send some freedom forces to protect us from the American Taliban.

1 Like